RIAT 2022 and 2023

I have no information to go on other than what I’m reading here… and as an outsider, it sounds like there were a few issues which need looking at for next year (lunches, theft, and a small number of staff with bad attitude), and lots of great things (excellent cadets and staff, catering, Carol Vorderman, good time had by all etc.)

But - it’s unfortunate that the Comdt didn’t visit the cadets. No doubt there were Reasons.

2 Likes

Personally, I dont really see the issue with CAC not visiting the troops.

Presumably the cadets were either on task, or watching the show - I cant imagine many cadets would prefer a meet and greet over watching fast jets being fast and noisy?

If he was working, schmoozing his way around the aerospace companies trying to secure funding or opportunities for cadets is a much better use of the tax payer’s money.

My cadets said they weren’t allowed to watch the show/walk around the ground, they had to stay on the camp site in the shade.

1 Like

^ that was Sunday afternoon, yes. They were encouraged to on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning.

No, but there are generally people coming and going from the campsite.

Or, if he’d spent about an hour wondering around the show he’d have run into a good number of cadets.

2 Likes

I don’t know in what capacity he attended, but I would reckon that his role as CAC at RIAT isn’t that much different than a Camp Commandant in the mess on Annual Camp - spreading the Air Cadet gospel whilst creating opportunities for the cadets.

IMO, CAC shouldn’t be acting like a minor celeb, posing for selfies with cadets who would, in all probability, walk past him in the street if he was in civvies.

There is a difference between acting like a celeb and actually spending time meeting them people that you are supposed to be in charge of.

Do you reckon that if AOC 22 Group was at RIAT and their were students from Sleaford Tech or Halton present that they wouldn’t go and see them for a quick “how are you”?

5 Likes

Exactly. A lot of talk about “the cadet experience” occurs, but how would someone know how the theory is translating to reality if they don’t get the answers first hand (considering CFAV aren’t listened to at any level).

His twitter feed suggests that he did choose to meet some cadets and staff, though? Just not on an prearranged visit to the RIAT detachment.

And to be fair, the RIAT camp probably isnt the place to ask those questions. You’d get a far more accuarate sense of the cadet experience by picking 10 random SMS events and tipping up unannounced…

2 Likes

AKA the Selfie Quuen, Aunty Dawn?

I do agree with the point you make, however it would be nice if the Cadets had a positive attitude about him rather than a “who?” Attitude.

Dawn did well on that front, perhaps too well and missed the mark on other tasks but if he didn’t visit the campsite then he’s no idea what the Cadets achieved or how the staff coped on a site which is falling down, with supply issues

TK isn’t going to win any popularity contest with CFAVs but the Cadets are an easy win by being accessible and approachable

2 Likes

I was at RIAT as a Flight Commander. AOC 22 Gp was there, in uniform, he and his ADC spent a good 10mins or so talking to my cadets and myself about the experience on the camp and RAFAC in general. He was very in tune with the issues of interest to me (AEF/VGS) and well informed.

9 Likes

Would that make staff feel validated or scared, though?!

It wouldn’t overly bother me. I’ve long made peace with the fact that I need to be able to justify anything I say or do with cadets, and and decisions I have made.

As long as its dealt with sensitively, there should be no real reason to get worked up about it?

If AOC 22 Gp can do it, why not CRAFAC?

3 Likes

I find this shocking and is easily preventable. All you need is to ensure the cadets are properly fed, drink lots and I mean lots over a litre an hour, a wide brimmed hat like a proper bush hat and not an ally SF hat , salty snacks (crisps) and lots of factor 50 sun cream. To help cool cadets down if they get hot a plant mister is great. spray liberally over exposed skin and instant ice packs.

For cadets to suffer heat stroke them it is either a lack of supervision or a lack knowledge by both the cadet and the supervisory staff.

2 Likes

Agreed - preventing climatic injury is not only highly important, it is very easy to do. Failing to prevent climatic injury surely comes down to either negligence or ignorance, or freak occurrence. To clarify, I’m saying that it’s understandable cadets getting a little hot whilst out and about, but to end up with cadets being sent for medical attention in the most cases is completely different.

I wouldn’t hold your breath.
His time, given he is little more than a name to the majority in the organisation, would be much better spent meeting and speaking to the cadets and get some “out of the mouth of babes” comments.
Having met RCs and a couple of CACs they say all the right things to adults but with their fingers firmly crossed.

With the exception of a cap rather than a bush hat, these control measures were in place.

1 Like

and the 1 litre plus of water an hour? Did the cadets get given the 500ml water bottles as a part of the kit?

Yes. I’ve not measured it, but it’s at least 500ml if not 1l.

I mean, I didn’t force it down their throats, but frequent reminders, yes.

1 Like

As implied by @Squirrel RIAT do whatever is necessary to make flight commanders life easier…any heat related injury is more a reflection on the CFAV’s diligence towards their Cadet’s welfare and competency at looking after 10-Cadets between two adults

1 Like