Requirements for an air rifle range

The law (at least in England) requires them to be kept out of reach of under 18s. So on a Cadet unit a locked cupboard would be the minimum. Scotland has stricter rules but I don’t have them to hand.

Yes true.
But the point was there is no restriction on quantity allowed and certainly no requirement for an armory or such.
A christmas cracker padlock on a fabric zip rifle bag is sufficient to meet the law. If stored in a non prominent position. I.e. not in a corridor.

Have just confirmed this with a staff member who is a senior police firearms officer.

1 Like

True. Civvie clubs seem to favour locked in a locker, with the pellets separate, around where we are. Concerns about theft might be driving that (fairly urban area).

Blockquote [quote=“bob1, post:8, topic:8158”]
TS25 for outdoor is massive overkill.
Depends on how much back drop you have no?
[/quote]

I believe improvised ranges have the same “footprint” regardless of the target frame.

Long shot, but worth a go before I hassle our very busy Wg Shooting O…

Not an urgent requirement, but I emailed Lines & Jones (previous supplier 5 - 6 yrs ago) for the price for replacement pellet catcher internal workings (hardboard + spring, & metal plate). They have to be replaced at 8000 rds I think - paperwork in the sqn. :wink: We have replaced ours at around 6000 rds as our cadets keep blatting shots in the middle of the aiming marks = small holes start to appear. Yes, the plates are easy to source (ironmongers) but not the hardboard + spring.

The email bounced back - checked the company details, seemed that they have moved to other business or stopped operating - website is defunct & 'phone number not valid.

Anyone got a source for these items please? They aren’t on the BSA approved list either.

Plenty of options on-line, but not with the board + spring, & I don’t want to change over to a different design if possible as they are specified in the range layout as such.

All very good points above.

Also, you can read this document chapter 22 is the overarching policy which governs all air ranges and is the benchmark TSAs use to instate a range.