lolz lolz lolz - as if my Wing apply this at all…
That sounds like YP 
in my Wing we have people who have been commissioned ~10 yrs, commanded a unit for ~5 yrs, who are still Fg Off…
I’d refuse to do it.
Does anyone really have the time? We fit things around our real life and the demands of this are not at all linked to whatever role you have in a hobby and as it a hobby people tend to do the things that interest them personally. Hence I’m into walking and camping, which is what I do.
Historically there wasn’t the issue with many things as you didn’t need the qualifications and the peripheral training imposed upon us now. So life was easier as a volunteer.
Being a Sqn Cdr while yes takes up time you have to manage it, part of this is delegation. Any Sqn Cdr who doesn’t delegate is not doing themselves any favours, unless they are one of the poor sods who has very few staff and does things by default. I have all staff doing something to easy the day to day requirements and some of these do more than one thing, including CIs. As a Sqn Cdr you owe it, to your sanity if nothing else, to do something, otherwise you would lose the will. Perhaps a reason why so many leave.