Rebranding

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=14651]I’d agree.
…and preferably a woven version like the RAF TRF - not this heavy-embroidered ‘coaster’ that we have got.

The logical step of course will be to wait and see what the RAF finally release as an ‘at home’ replacement for the TRF and go with something similar.

We’ve heard that it’s going to be the white “Royal Air Force” Op Olympic badge, but of course, the headsheds change their mind far too often to believe it until it’s out.[/quote]

A man i know who drinks with a chap in the pub which is owned by the sister of a bloke who works for the same firm who delivers to a well known distributions depot says it’s the Op Olympic badge.

[quote=“Plt Off Prune” post=14656]
A man i know who drinks with a chap in the pub which is owned by the sister of a bloke who works for the same firm who delivers to a well known distributions depot says it’s the Op Olympic badge.[/quote]

:lol:

So following that logic some ‘Royal Air Force Air Cadets’ badges might be on the cards, in the Op Olympic badge fashion??

:sick:

What is wrong with the current RAF TRF?

The idea of the Op Olympic badge wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t a white background.

As a TRF, nothing.
But I think the intention is to have something that is a little more obviously “Royal Air Force” when not involved in a conflict.

[quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=14658]The idea of the Op Olympic badge wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t a white background.

As a TRF, nothing.
But I think the intention is to have something that is a little more obviously “Royal Air Force” when not involved in a conflict.[/quote]

If the intention is to make it clearer to the public, it’s a complete waste of time. In MTP no matter what the badge on the arm says, no matter what the beret colour, when people see camo, they think Army.

The only time people see the RAF and think RAF is when we wear number 1s with white silk scarves, leather flying helmets and ridiculous moustaches.

One of my best mates is almost set to be the new poster boy.

Absolutely spot on. When we go out on things in cammo (whichever type) the average bloke/woman/kid sees Army, I know this as you hear kids say “look at the soldiers”. When you consider a lot of cadet units wear ‘cammo’ on public events (as it is better than blues wrt dirty jobs) duty, it’s no wonder the ATC is regarded as the “best kept secret”.
If you’re wearing “cammo” on an Air Cadet only FMS / training activity that requires cammo, badges like TRFs are a waste of time and money. Even if you’re doing something with the ACF unless it was a huge affair, the badges are pointless. The only time that they may have any relevance (only close up) is when cadets wear it around regulars, given it would be difficult to distinguish between older cadets and younger regulars. But these instances are few and far between and likely to be fewer in the future.
I don’t really understand, with the exception of the last example, the relevance and why these are even considered as required for the ATC? Also now that there are probably more cadets than airmen and definitey a greater turnover, the RAF would be desiging and supplying something for an “off-shoot”. This also applies to uniform / parts of all kinds.

Absolutely spot on. When we go out on things in cammo (whichever type) the average bloke/woman/kid sees Army, I know this as you hear kids say “look at the soldiers”. When you consider a lot of cadet units wear ‘cammo’ on public events (as it is better than blues wrt dirty jobs) duty, it’s no wonder the ATC is regarded as the “best kept secret”.
If you’re wearing “cammo” on an Air Cadet only FMS / training activity that requires cammo, badges like TRFs are a waste of time and money. Even if you’re doing something with the ACF unless it was a huge affair, the badges are pointless. The only time that they may have any relevance (only close up) is when cadets wear it around regulars, given it would be difficult to distinguish between older cadets and younger regulars. But these instances are few and far between and likely to be fewer in the future.
I don’t really understand, with the exception of the last example, the relevance and why these are even considered as required for the ATC? Also now that there are probably more cadets than airmen and definitey a greater turnover, the RAF would be desiging and supplying something for an “off-shoot”. This also applies to uniform / parts of all kinds.[/quote]

The problem with the cadet badge is that it misses the point of formation badges. You are correct that it is useless as a TRF, mainly because it is so subdued that you can’t recognise it. The point behind these badges is not for recognition from other units, but to engender an esprit de corps, give the unit something to unite behind. A good example of badges which we have which do this are the Squadron number badges on a brassard, or, (and you won’t like it) the JL flash. Units need badges for themselves, not for the benefit of others.

The real problem with the cadet flash is that it doesn’t engender any esprit de corps purely because it is so naff.

[quote=“Baldrick” post=14659][quote=“wdimagineer2b” post=14658]The idea of the Op Olympic badge wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t a white background.

As a TRF, nothing.
But I think the intention is to have something that is a little more obviously “Royal Air Force” when not involved in a conflict.[/quote]

If the intention is to make it clearer to the public, it’s a complete waste of time. In MTP no matter what the badge on the arm says, no matter what the beret colour, when people see camo, they think Army.

The only time people see the RAF and think RAF is when we wear number 1s with white silk scarves, leather flying helmets and ridiculous moustaches.[/quote]

This is the exact reason why the RAF have been told to wear uniform as much as possible when traveling home on leave ect. AP1358 even states that this should e done in blues to try and rais the profile of the RAF in the public eye. I must admit having a home based TRF type thingy seems a bit odd to me the only time most RAF wear any form of Combats is once a year for CCS or maybe on guard duty of course some exceptions do exist like TCW,TSW but they are small in number as for the RAF Regt they have the mud guards.

Absolutely spot on. When we go out on things in cammo (whichever type) the average bloke/woman/kid sees Army, I know this as you hear kids say “look at the soldiers”. When you consider a lot of cadet units wear ‘cammo’ on public events (as it is better than blues wrt dirty jobs) duty, it’s no wonder the ATC is regarded as the “best kept secret”.[/quote]

seconded on both counts!

i know the uniform on taskings at RIAT has changed to reflect this.
as an attending Cadet everything was “RIAT DPMs”* except anything that was “VIP” such as the enclosures which was Wedgewood blues. Now as Staff it is much more “everything in (working) Blues” unless it is a really “dirty” tasking.

I am sure our Wing pushed a memo out indicating the same, where possible wear Blues over Greens/DPM when “working” in the public eye.

*CS95 from the waist down, with a "RIAT T-shirt and baseball cap for the waist up

This seems a better choice of colours and its not to confusing.

[attachment=158]RAAFCAM.jpg[/attachment]

This seems a better choice of colours and its not to confusing.

[attachment=158]RAAFCAM.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

THAT IS MORE HORRID THAN THE PLAIN BLUE PCS THE NAVY GOT AND THE RAF HAVE JUST FINISHED TRIALING…PASSME ABUCKET IN DIZZT AND FEEL SICKLOOKINGAT IT.

Very Man at C&A.

Yes, because the Air Training Corps really needs BLUE CAMO?! I agree with killing it with fire then make Steve679 eat the ashes for suggesting such a thing!