Question about joining as an Adult Staff Member/CI - Transgender

If all the so called experts are correct, then millions of us will have the luxury from working from home forever more, with all the time and money savings giving everyone a more balanced work/life balance… (As ever on the BBC I don’t think they’ve actually asked anyone other than those in central London)…

But if this is to be correct there will be a whole load of people with a lot more spare time… so we might find interest in joining as staff goes up… whether or not in the age of the internet and instant results any of them can stomach a 6 month wait on a DBS is another matter…

Regardless, we might get a bit of interest though!

don’t count your chickens…

Although not the original article I read, a quick Google offers plenty of other examples.

ITV News article (first result on Google)
40% of those WFH work longer hours than if they attended the office/workplace.

now this is related to the lockdown, and comes with other challenges like keeping kids entertained/home schooling at the same time but i WFH doesn’t automatically = more spare time

1 Like

Fully agree with that 40% as I am ‘lucky’ to work full time at home, i am working longer hours than before the lockdown, it is knackering and am not sure I could go off and do ATC after days like this.

1 Like

I find this interesting and personally see it as a self-discipline thing. I very specifically make sure I don’t work any longer hours from home.

3 Likes

I will work longer hours sometimes in that I will work during my commuting time but I don’t routinely put in longer at my desk than I’d be away from home under normal circumstances.

I don’t do that either. Work don’t pay me for commuting time, so as far as I’m concerned, that’s my time I’m getting back!

the original article i saw (i think BBC) one example they looked at was the likes of personal trainers and similar roles are now working longer hours because of the increased flexibility.

whereas sessions were limited to the gym or leisure centre opening times, when both trainer and client are both WFH and done virtually there is a longer “working day” available.

if you’re self employed i can imagine it is more attractive to keep busy with clients wanting something from you, than accepting furlough (or worse) waiting for the gyms to open in the hope clients will return.

for the “office worker” i am sure it is easily to be disciplined, but that isn’t the case for all job roles…

2 Likes

Hi Ellie

Only just seen this through the weekly digest email but I can give the definitive answer.

My corps email address is lgbtadvisor2@aircadets.org and, in that role, I have been a member of the LGBT+ working group of ASPIRE, the organisation’s inclusivity team, with a specific brief to advise at commandant level on transgender policy.

I am a transgender member CI of a squadron in No 1 Welsh Wing, Wales and the West Region.

We are (literally this week) about to publish non-binary and transgender guidance in Annex D to PI104 (location for the information of senior staff who may need help). This sets out in detail the corps policy, which is completely inclusive, both of cadets and CFAVs (Cadet Forces Adult Volunteers).

Wings may not know who their LGBT+ rep is, because, at wing level, this will be a new appointment. Up until earlier this year, reps were organised at a regional level, and they, plus two specific advisors, remain the core team. However, all wings were instructed to nominate a wing LGBT+ rep and most are now in place.

Regional rep email addresses are of the form lgbt.region@aircadet.org where region is replaced by the regional abbreviation - ww, ce, sni, laser, sw, north.

We are also rationalising the training packages, from hour long conference talks to day long workshops, that those reps will be able to provide, or deliver.

While I, personally, have never found any environment in the entire corps to be anything less than welcoming and inclusive, we have dealt with isolated incidents of homophobic or transphobic behaviour, sometimes of the robust humour kind, sometimes of the misuse of social media kind. These have been dealt with appropriately.

Just as an example of how supportive the corps is, consider the guidance on allowing transgender cadets to participate in competitive sport.

It comprises a flow chart with notes, but I’m just going to summarise briefly.

Would the cadet pose any health and safety risk, to themselves or others.

If yes, they may be excluded, else, of no:

Would the cadet have a competitive advantage.

If no, they may compete, else, if yes:

Would the competitive advantage matter?

The only time a cadet should be excluded for competitive advantage is is the competition is against an external organisation, in which case, the rules of the sport’s governing body should be followed. In any internal competition, the competitive advantage should NOT be used to exclude the cadet.

The basis is that the primary aim of the Air Cadets is to provide an enjoyable experience for all cadets.

Now none of this is intended to contradict the sensible guidance to shop around and find a unit that fits you. But transphobia, overt or unconscious, is, absolutely, not tolerated, at commandant level, both outgoing and incoming.

14 Likes

We had a transgender officer in our wing. No problems at all, to my knowledge! I also was married to someone who is now female. Still one of my best friends. I know what she went through with everything. I am with another man now , he is an officer. He has accepted her as a female friend. He doesnt know her as male.
On the whole most people are interested in what you can do in the Corps and need staff. Regardless who you are. As long as they are safe with children!

LGBT reps at wing level should have been selected and appointed by the Wg Cdr.

Each region definitely has a rep…a handful of wings still have vacancies.

I know this topic is a few months old but I thought I would share my experience. I’ve been in the ACO for a while, since before girls were allowed in. I’m in uniform and I’ve been hinting for the last 10-20 years in lots of ways, I had some life changes and I decided that the boiling vessel was about to blow a gasket. I changed my NHS details and had a referral to the GIC. During this lockdown, I grew my hair and decided I would test the water. I expected three / four of the people I was going to tell that would ridicule me and I would be rejected by my former gender group and my acquired gender group too. As I said the boiling vessel was about to explode and I decided that if it became too much after telling people I would just leave. I could not go back.

My experience now that around 10 know is unbelievable, I am on cloud 9 and I can really say I’ve never been so happy. Yes, I’ve had really happy moments in my life but when you are down in the dumps expecting the worst to get what I got was unbelievable.

100% acceptance and support, my OC keeps asking me when can they tell the CoC and get the ball rolling. The friends, I never knew how good they were, are treating me in the acquired gender as if I’ve always been a part of them and my old gender group is treating like I’ve never been anything other than I am now. They have all gone, Oh yes that explains it and a few guessed what I was going to tell them.The banter is great, I’m really excited about the future in the ACO. Why did I wait? I dont know, looking at it. My familiy are still a problem but the ACO is my safe space.

The first person is an advocate for me and has threatened to deal with anyone who is a problem. I have come home! I don’t know if every Wing / Sqn is the same and I’ve yet to face the rest of the Wing but Im hopeful. The Aspire route is a good one, it helped my confidence a lot but funnily enough, I didn’t involve them, but I used the presentation opportunity to test the water. Cant wait for F2F to return.

18 Likes

That’s really good to hear! Glad you’re finally able to be who you always thought you were!

Ithanks for your comments. It’s a minefield of terminology! But I don’t mind what people say or use. You suppress who you are, try and hide in your birth gender, learn to act and blend in. Then suddenly it bites you so hard it’s all you can think about but can’t share from fear. Then they say you come out and are trans into your acquired gender. How can you trans to where you were, its a reveal not a coming out and it’s not acquired it’s your real natural gender,I haven’t borrowed it. Still everyone means we’ll so who cares. The best thing is that noone cares after a while. You are just you.

Your experience is the best thing I’ve read in ages. Thank you for sharing. So glad that you had a positive response and, as they should, your friends and other staff were supportive.

As more people are able to be themselves, whether it’s in the ATC, workplace or elsewhere, it will make it easier for everyone, as well as being a great role model for cadets.

1 Like