Qualification Currency

I’d have to say, for us not a lot. To comply with the law and policy, I’ve not had an opportunity to work with cadets. I’ve done personal stuff so would that be sufficient? To be honest, not a lot of personal mountain days as most of the governing bodies were cautious in encouraging too much. Overnight stays were difficult and at times impossible.
I think it would be unfair to put an arbitrary limit on it right now.

In my view it would, but I’m asking for the opinions of the assembled to see if you can help me thread this particular needle.

So is it more unfair to have an arbitrary limit/number, or have a postcode lottery of assessment based on personalities?

I said right now. Let’s say the restrictions get lifted, then it might be fairer to give people a chance to catch up with skills.

I think you’ve missed my point - WATTOs are required to complete their currency assessment by the end of March. So the question needs to be thought about now.

This is not an easy one, as already need said the regulations are “woolly“ to say the least and never envisioned a year without activity for everybody. I can say for my wing in Wales there has been no RAFAC Adv Trg with cadets in since the lockdown last March. Many in England have been able to get out but the regulations in Wales have been much tighter and have revolved mostly from exercising from your front door.

Exercising from your front door will stop most people from any Wild Country areas (sorry showing my age) climbing and any waterborne Adv Trg. I am lucky having a hill over 250 meters within walking distance of my front door and am able to have a QMD last weekend with my wife. Explored a route that I had not walked since I was a child and this required the use of a map. Had a rucksack with some food and other stuff and took some very nice photos. Nevertheless, it is not really pushing my skills. In addition, nobody has done any group or expedition work since the beginning of lockdown and potentially the end of the exped season in 2019.

The questions are as I see it

What ls the level of risk of the activity? Is it a local stroll around the local park or a trip to the top of Pen-y-Fan straight away post lockdown?

Do we increase the staff ratio to have more eyes on a given activity?

How do we assess what is a QMD or a good day on the water during lockdown?

Do we set a limit after the end of lockdown what we expected leaders to have done to keep their authorisation during lockdown? Difficult to justify?

2020 has been different, what we will require will have to be different to what we have required for requalification in the past. If we set the bar too high we could be in danger of stopping activities which are inherently safe (eg trekking in Normal country) because of an extraordinary event.

I think one answer will be to start small and local, get back into the swing of things and then expand the envelope. Perhaps throw in some staff trg days with a few scenarios to spice thing up could be one way forward.

You might think so, but in one of the recent Professional Mountaineer magazines there was an article on skill fade which suggested it has less of an impact in those who are more experienced. So, it would potentially be the opposite and we shoudl give more latitude to those with more experience, and less to those with less experience.

Maybe that should be rethought then? Surely there would be some allowances? I guess if everyone submits their experience logs you’ll be able to see what the score is an perhaps arrange Wing or Region CPD?

That is really interesting - do you have a link?

Indeed, and that’s already planned on the assumption that some people will need to go out and practice.

What’s the cutoff though? Who gets asked to go and do a day out before leading a group and who doesn’t?

Just looked for it and I don’t think the issue has been released online just yet. I will see if I still have the copy at home and scan it but I have a feeling it went in the recycling.

No worries - if it crops up anywhere it sounds like an interesting read!

North Region usually requires staff to log 3 personal and 3 RAFAC activities per discipline, per year, to retain their currency.

As RAFAC activities have (generally) not been taking place, I think zero RAFAC activities is a fair outcome for most staff this year.

But my view on personal activities is different. I think the minimum of 3 should still be applied, as 3 personal activities per year isn’t exactly a lot, and many people have had more spare time this year as most RAFAC weekend activities have been cancelled. I’ve done way more walking and paddling this year than I usually would.

I appreciate that for some people (eg. healthcare and some other key workers) COVID has meant working longer hours or extra days, and these people should be given a dispensation if they ask.

In North Region at least, being deemed “not current” just means that when you organise your first activity, you need to take the RATTO, WATTO or another trusted bod along with you, so they can watch and check that you’re still “current”. So it’s no big hurdle to get back on the wagon.

1 Like

Shouldn’t everyone be invited unless they have done group work - perhaps through their job and can show currency that way?

Indeed, and I don’t see it being any more onerous than this really - but the problem comes when you have many instructors wanting the same person to come along so they can ‘get on the wagon’.

I agree; with some caveats for Wales who may have had harsher restrictions. 3 activities per discipline, or across all for multiple qualification holders?

It’s already a postcode lottery’s as what is expected has varied for wing to wing as long as I can remember.

I wouldn’t necessarily expect people to have group/lead session with cadets within that very narrow window of openness we had. However, I would expect to see some currency in personal skills or online for CPD for knowledge development.

Even though lockdown was pretty extensive and kyboshed lots of peoples plans, I’ve seen extensive talks across all AT areas. Even spelunking. Some has been NGB lead. Some has been provider lead. Some has been was cross pollination from other fields - but equally relevant in terms of knowledge extension. @angus posted yesterday about the Trauma Care webinar, but there are plenty of others out there which would count as CPD.

It’s also worth flagging that “currency” doesn’t necessarily mean activity on SMS, but could include activities with other providers, families or friends. Just because we instruct/teach/lead activities within RAFAC, it doesn’t mean our currency should be defined as RAFAC activities only. I’d argue that you gain more developmentally through operating with other coaches/leaders/providers and non-cadet groups than you do churning through the same cadet types over and over again.

Normally I’d also look for a range of activities, different areas, people and events rather than doing the same 3 routes year in, year out everytime you get a Windermere/Fairbourne booking and nothing else. BUT, that’s me - and I’m always keen to try new things for personal development and keeping myself interested in things. Could people have done 3 activities in the last 12 months? It could well be a stretch - even personal days - if you’ve not got a Mountain, Grade 2 river or VDiff climb on your doorstep. Or a sailing club. Or pot hole. Or MTB track.

I would look at the 12 months leading up to March 2020 and ask the following questions:

• How current were they at the point of lockdown?
  • What have they done since lockdown?
  • When does their FA ticket expire?

I’d then RAG rate folk based on the responses.

RED
If up to March 2020 was looking a bit sketchy and empty AND they did nothing throughout lockdown AND their FA Ticket is out of date, then they are red. NO RAFAC AT until their FA ticket is in order.

AMBER
If FA ticket above is resolved, move to Amber. Limited sign off pending a visit from SQEP person (WATTO/RATTO or a higher level coach mentor who could be a Tech Adviser).

AMBER
If up to March 2020 was looking fine, FA ticket is fine but lockdown saw them shut down, then sign off as per norm - yes they might lag a bit in currency. BUT, if they are looking to put in a higher risk activity, touch base with them - are they taking a load of noobs down something that’s at the limit of their remit? Or is this a comfortable jaunt which is well within their range of skills, knowledge and experience. Encourage them to engage in some coaching/mentoring type activities.

AMBER
If up to March 2020 was looking sketchy BUT they did some CPD during lockdown and FA ticket is valid, then sign off with caveats above. Encourage them back into the zone with some coaching/mentoring and get that log book back on top form.

GREEN
If up to March 2020 was looking fine, FA ticket is fine but lockdown saw them shut down, then sign off as per norm - yes they might lag a bit in currency, BUT, they are only a year out of date and we’ve seen worse previously and given them the benefit of the doubt.

If up to March 2020 was fine and lockdown saw some personal stuff, some group stuff, or some online CPD, or, for some lucky folk, a progression ticket, and FA is fine, sign off as normal.

3 Likes

HOWEVER, a more valid question might be, why the hell are we still busting our asses doing AT registers at all? AT registers are a pre-Bader legacy thing which for some reason we’re still doing.

Every time you look at an AT app, most WATTOs are looking at proof of qualifications and currency anyway all through the year.

4 Likes

But as you quite rightly point out, SMS doesn’t tell all. You need to look at their logbook as an overall assessment, not just a RAFAC one. That is the focus of the AT register - identifying the subset of those on SMS who are ‘qualified’ who are also ‘current’.

SMS only gives you ‘do they hold a ticket’ - not have they met all of the other requirements, like coach update etc etc.

I agree with this. I’m fully expecting the assessment to only be on personal skills type stuff rather than group stuff.

Can we not just change the Register review date?

All AT is approved anyway so there is that over sight.