Biggin Hill RAF Memorial Chapel

Can I ask for a few minutes of your time to look at a petition I have started to protect the St George’s RAF Chapel of Remembrance at Biggin Hill. The Chapel was built by Winston Churchill to commemorate the pilots who won the Battle of Britain. Bromley Council wish to demolish part of the Chapel to replace it with a hideous building to create the long awaited Museum, when there is already a superb approved design by the Biggin Hill Battle of Britain Supporters Club.
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/protect-biggin-hill-st-george-s-raf-chapel-of-remembrance

Not a biased piece of prose in the slightest.

I’m in favour of the new plans and look forward to the new development which I will most likely never actually visit, just like the existing chapel.

I’m as unlikely to visit this as I am the huge number of similar buildings all over the country, but it doesn’t mean you’d want to see it knocked down. The problem is once it’s gone it’s gone and the new building they are proposing will probably last 10-15 years before it needs re-building or re-vamping and another chunk of taxpayer’s dosh frittered away.

I’d be more in favour of keeping the building and incorporating a museum into it. But that doesn’t waste as much money and give some here today gone today councillor a photo op.

1 Like