Performance review

If we are going to have an appraisal / review system you need to have adequate access to external (in this instance off-squadron) training and development activities. Then we must have a competency procedure or similar if the training/development hasn’t had the desired effect.
Where I work the competency procedure is based on a maximum of 3 three months periods, one to change/do training and one to change and maintain and a third if there is any extra requirements for maintaining. Could the organisation in the first instance actually offer the support in terms of training required, I don’t think it could.

Having a review/appraisal system is all well and good, but, so far no one has spoken about what happens if you are dealing with a member of staff whose performance needs to be ‘worked on’. OK it’s only a hobby but you can’t just go around saying you’re out because of , IF you haven’t given them the opportunity to change or whatever.

There seems to be an undercurrent of what I would call petulance with some staff on here who have a holier than thou attitude when it comes dealing with volunteer staff they regard as “inferior”. I’m probably no better in some respects, but my beef is mainly with the people who get paid to do a job in this organisation and represent us, but fall woefully short.

[quote=“glass half empty 2” post=16902]If we are going to have an appraisal / review system you need to have adequate access to external (in this instance off-squadron) training and development activities. Then we must have a competency procedure or similar if the training/development hasn’t had the desired effect.
Where I work the competency procedure is based on a maximum of 3 three months periods, one to change/do training and one to change and maintain and a third if there is any extra requirements for maintaining. Could the organisation in the first instance actually offer the support in terms of training required, I don’t think it could.

Having a review/appraisal system is all well and good, but, so far no one has spoken about what happens if you are dealing with a member of staff whose performance needs to be ‘worked on’. OK it’s only a hobby but you can’t just go around saying you’re out because of , IF you haven’t given them the opportunity to change or whatever.[/quote]

Unless an existing disciplinary issue has been identified, failure to ‘develop’ should NOT be a reason for binning.

Extra training, development and feedback should be available to those who want it, particularly junior CFAVs. I know many OCs are happy to provide if asked, but junior volunteers are less likely to ask, and I’m sure many OCs would appreciate the structure and guidance as well.

I do get a sense from some, that failing to develop is being touted as a potential reason for saying ta ta. Which is why you need to have something aside from the formal disciplinary, as not developing is not a disciplinary matter, or not in my book. But even then on the discip side (unless it is really serious) you give a time bound chance to improve/change. I’ve only done this twice in all my years as a sqn cdr.

It’s all well and good having the things available for staff, BUT we as an organisation have to have the opportunities available for them. Take JOD, for one reason or another our Wing didn’t do anything centrally for around 3 years, so it would hardly be their fault and there is only so much you can do at the squadron. This last point is something that has to be uppermost and is why we need to have a comprehensive list of training/development opportunities.

Apologies for regurgitating an old thread…anyone got a template that i could steal before i create something…got a very junior NCO team that I need to document development and performance to help them grow into the roles.

Thanks,

1 Like

Get Better.

1 Like

ha… if only it was that simple

Be Less Bad?

Other than that it all depends on what you want them to improve in! If your focus was drill then it would be pointless evaluating any lessons they’ve taught!

3 Likes

Can’t you just use SMART plans?

Probably…just being lazy at the moment before coming up with something

Have you got access to MPAR and SJAR templates?

Nope able to share if poss?

Not a template as such, but I’ve used the below as a guide for my NCO team in their self appraisals and reviews

To find this I just googled SJAR template.

1 Like

Happy to say that I haven’t come across performance appraisals in cadets. Most people don’t think much of them in work. Lots criticise them as being ineffective and a waste of time. Why provide performance feedback once a year? Last job, annual performance appraisal was just a pain that superfluous HR types demanded of us. Scribble a few bullet points, tick a few boxes, agree a few meaningless goals for the next 12 months, file and forget. They really don’t mean anything.

1 Like

We did it more regularly than that, but it was more about getting the cadets into the mindset of looking at themselves and their own abilities as NCOs, especially if they were asking “how do I get promoted?”.

Using something like the image above at least meant it was following a rough structure.

I think performance review always has a negative ring to it… I purely want use to help grow the capability of my team and empower them to take accountability for their own “careers” within the RAFAC whilst also doing the job we expect them to do.

I simply want something structured to provide consistency and because I have the memory of a goldfish

‘Action Planning’ might be a better term.

Here’s what you need to do to get to your next rank… this could include being less rubbish at stuff.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly… Or to deliver your current role :joy:

:thinking:
sounds a lot like a promotion matrix!!!

(Although that is very tick box exercise in comparison to what is being suggested)

We play it more like “these are the behaviours we need to see you exhibiting on a regular basis”, but not too dissimilar.

Personally, I’m not a fan of formal action plans / performance reviews. I don’t find them that much use at work either. I much prefer and adopt a stance of corridor coaching on a regular basis… At canteen or a lull between activities for example chat to the NCO in question in a more relaxed manner about how they are finding the role so far what challenges do they face etc. You can then provide advice, put processes in place or identify training gaps to aid their development.

For me, doing this regularly helps me keep more up to date with how the NCOs are performing. Also in this setting they feel more comfortable discussing issues than in a formal sit down chat.

Also I don’t think you need a specific matrix for promoting cadets to Cpl and Sgt. Just make it clear what you are looking for and when someone is ready for promotion, promote them!