Parade - Armed Forces Day

I’ve been asked to pass on a message from the original OP to express their gratitude towards those who answered the questions unrelated to Armed Forces Day. They appreciated seeing viewpoints from both angles.

However, the OP has unfortunately decided to step away from the forum permanently, and cadets temporarily due to an accidental witch hunt in relation to this thread.

As you can see, I’m using a throwaway account. This is because although no witch hunt was intended towards the OP, it still happened. I have no desire for it to happen to me.

I know I didn’t have to write this message, but the OP genuinely wanted to thank some of the discussion participants and raise awareness that posting on this forum can sometimes have unintended consequences.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that the OP came under pressure for their post and that they’re stepping away from cadets because of it. It was a reasonable question and some good discussion came from it, I thought. I hope they’re doing ok and feel able to get involved again should they want to.

I do wonder about some of the leadership in this organisation and their inability to listen to feedback or accept criticism or suggestions for change. I get that it’s not easy or comfortable to hear, especially when maxed out with trying to deliver for cadets, but most feedback is given for the right reasons of improving what we deliver for cadets. Some big egos just can’t accept it :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Any member of staff indulging in any form of witch-hunt as a result of this should be tarred, feathered, and permanently booted out of this organisation for bullying.

To the member of staff who did that, if you’re reading this, be under no illusions that you are what’s wrong with this organisation. If you had any decency you’d be the one stepping back from the org.

13 Likes

This makes me really angry. The OP came on with a genuine query, asking if they were wrong to feel as they did. A perfectly reasonable approach.

Swiftly followed up by another new user who obviously has been involved in the organising who took a somewhat combative approach, insistent that this discussion has to be done in private.

The following witch-hunt suggests that heamoor1979/their friend may not actually have been that helpful had OP emailed them.

We have some really good people in leadership positions (including at CCF HQ - I know, I’m admitting there’s someone good in a leadership role at HQAC), but also some utter throbbers who don’t like anyone who doesn’t blow smoke up them. It’s pretty pathetic really.

3 Likes

I’m willing to bet as well that the witch hunt came from volunteers & not paid staff.

The later being more switched on, less busy & only really bothered if it trips over a legal area such as safeguarding.

3 Likes

This has made me pretty angry, comment below reflects this.
This is really bad and I can’t believe this sort of question on a persons feelings and asking if perhaps a slightly different approach to selection for a parade has resulted in someone having to step away not only from this forum where we share ideas, suggestions and tips but had to take a break from cadets as a whole. Although I didn’t take part in the discussion as I didn’t find anything I could add that hadn’t already been said I was nice to follow along and seeing the different sides.

I can’t believe anyone would start a Witch hunt on something like this and I think whoever did take part need to seriously consider if they should be part of the Cadets at all. If you can’t take someone asking why a decision was made and suggesting an alternative without even mentioning you then you or your team I don’t think you should be part of this organisation.

6 Likes

The person starting such a witch hunt needs to look at themselves in the mirror and ask am I in the right place?

Are they someone who as a CFAV if in uniform, uses the uniform as a means of social and/or professional advancement and thinks they really are a regular or reserve personnel?

Someone far higher up the greasy pole needs to grip this person very very hard if not ask, do they really want to be part of the organisation with such an attitude?

2 Likes

These two statements seem rather oxymoronic, it reads like “let’s have a witch hunt to discover anyone having a witch hunt”.

I don’t pretend to know the details, however it could reasonably be that any witch hunt is merely those in a relatively small area (the OP’s nom de plume suggested his location) playing Who Dunnit, rather than anyone with a bruised ego. Again the location leads me to believe it’s the national event so pressure on those organising it could mean an occasional lapse in sense of humour. It’s a shame the OP has been vilified to the extent that they feel pressured to step away and hopefully in a few weeks once AFD fades into history they return.

Fair point, removed, but some people deserve to be hunted! :rofl:

I’m not sure how that works - you either hunt someone or you don’t. You either persecute them for their actions or you don’t. You bully them, or you don’t.

I’m really saddened to hear that a member of this organisation, showing their curiosity and desire to understand the organisation (especially in what should be guaranteed, nurturing environment) has been made to feel like this.

There are clearly some troublesome attitudes within that Wing, perhaps more than I was already aware of.

Formal complaints of harassment and bullying should be fired off to anyone who will listen, naming anyone responsible.

Any CFAV involved should be ashamed. Whether directly or through failing to take their chance to support OP.

1 Like

We all know that our comments on here may have some IRL consequences, but that should only happen when it is rightfully deserved. For those who know me IRL, it’s quite easy to work out who I am via the information I’ve posted to this forum.

OP asked a perfectly valid question. The discussion and debate was helpful, and no individual was named as a wrongdoer. Evidently, someone somewhere considers themselves to be a little bit special and untouchable as a consequence of their RAFAC involvement.

We already have a serious retention issue in some parts of the Corps. Scenarios such as this one demonstrate the root cause of that issue.

4 Likes