Paddlers - boat advice

My experience of the crossover type boats are that it’s a bit of a squeeze to do an overnight with them. Possible, but not necessarily comfortable; I’ve run a Bronze DofE before with the cadets using Dagger Katanas and getting their kit in was a squeeze, so anything longer would have been challenging.

The Jive looks like it’s primarily a touring boat - so ideal for what you are suggesting as long as the rivers you had in mind are fairly flat / placid. The foot pegs though mean it’s probably not suited to faster moving water (you really need a full plate foot rest for that), and the externally routed skeg line looks ripe for getting caught on stuff so I’d not be a fan of that on moving water. I’ve had no personal experience of the Islander boats, but the Katanas I mention above are more than capable of doing both - although they are more designed for moving water. We’ve had them on flat canal DofE work and Grade 2(3) white water on the Dart Loop.

Why are you leaning to a kayak? Thought about a canoe? They are pretty good at touring and moving water and you can easily do a 4+ day trip in a 15ft boat.

We had a Perception Sundance - which is essentially the same thing as the Islander Fiesta. Pretty bombproof entry kayak. Almost impossible to accidentally capsize due to it having a ridiculously large beam. The beam width - and in built tracking lines - meant it was a pig to turn. You can to somehow put it on edge (which was a challenge in itself) to get the tracking lines clear of the water and shorten it’s length, in order to do any sort of effective turn. So great for canals and big open rivers - but shocking when it comes to anything more technical! I paddled it down Grade 2 and it was fine - but i absolutely wouldn’t take it on anything bigger. It was fine or mirror calm seas and in enclosed bays.

It’s also not a fast boat! If I recall, the cockpit was so big, it needed a special spraydeck with a steel bar in it to keep it rigid.

BUT it got us through our 1 star, 2 star and on to Level 1 and 2 coaching.

For long termness and progression, out of your two options, i would lean towards the Jive as it will give you what you want, without having the constraints of the Fiesta. The drop down skeg is really handy and will help improve your paddling no end. It will make for a more natural progression in other directions too - where you won’t need to unlearn everything the Fiesta taught you to do! However, it might be a tight fit getting overnight gear into a Jive - the skeg retracts quite far into the hull and cuts up the back end.

We’ve had some Islander Kayaks for a while - although Sit On Tops rather than sit ins. For bombproofness they are pretty good. Not had any issues with any of them.

You might find Perception Sundance and Dagger Fiesta come up second hand on the Facebook Marketplace at around the £300-400 bracket - which will save you some cash! I wouldn’t pay any more for either of them! Also, because of their width, you’ll probably need to look at some sit on top length paddles rather than standard sit in kayak ones.

It might be worth looking at things like the Dagger Blackwater or Approach - they are older models of crossover kayaks, but come up relatively often. The Dagger Katana is the newer version of these. All offer you the same sort of thing you’re looking for.

Or a canoe.

Or a SUP. :wink:

Or all of these things… in time. :smiley:

1 Like

Mrs BF was genuinely discussing paddlesport trailer options yesterday!!

1 Like

Thanks @Batfink and @redowling really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I had been heavily considering the Katana but saw the price for the Islanders were a lot cheaper and from my researcher Islander and Dagger are the same company or at least have some connection?

Obviously there is a risk of you get what you pay for and I want to ensure it’s a good choice. When I can I want to go to a shop and have a look and sit in. I’m just conscious that for 2 of us to get us sufficiently kitted out it is going to be pricey.

In terms of overnight, this is a nice to have rather than must.

Didn’t really get on with the SUP or canoe when I tried them!

If you’re budgeting for two, have a look at Ace kayaks. Their Solo model is comparable to the Fiesta but far cheaper. It is very entry level and lacks the bells and whistles of others. However, is a nice stable platform for getting to grips with kayaking and you’ll potentially get two for the price of one Katana.

Remember you’ll need to budget for blades, buoyancy aids, airbags, drybags, wetsuits, phone covers, roof bars, straps and plenty of other stuff! It’s a long term investment! :wink:

Alternatively look second hand. UK rivers guidebook, eBay, gumtree and Facebook marketplace all have reasonable kayaks available at the moment. And you won’t feel gutted the first time you scratch it because they largely come pre-loved with gravel rash on the bottoms!

I really want an iRocker SUP but apparently buying a house takes precedence.

You need some new people in your life. You don’t need that kind of negativity :wink:

2 Likes

I’d definitely agree with the second hand shout. It’s an almost certainty that the first boat you buy won’t match the aspirations you end up with if you get into it (as was the case with me). Once you’ve had some time to build up your experience then you’ll be able to make more informed decisions about what type of boat and kit you need. No point wasting money up front!

I’m saving for my first house so am a bit uneasy but spending too much but equally, I want to be safe and enjoy it. I don’t want to have to buy something to replace it after a year because I made the wrong choice so I’m ultimately happy to spend a little bit as you are right it is an investment. It is the most I’ve ever spent in one go though!

The Aces certainly look ok and not one I had heard of or come across before. They also advertise a discount for those involved in the NHS, military, police etc so I’d be able to save a little more.

I think I’d want the opportunity to try it though and from their website they don’t seem to sell anywhere but their own factory in Wales.