Overseas camps, a thing of the past?

Im adament Ramstein is the best camp out there.

1 Like

Do the Israeli embassy no longer sponsor those trips?

Reindahlen was still a thing then too.

1 Like

I’ve no idea.

I was there (Gib) in 2004 as a cadet and by far the best camp however could be slightly different now.
For RAF sections were limited to bomb disposal, RAF Fire and RAF police services and the dog section which added a bit of fun to the mix. Had the standard tour of inside the rock and a hop over the border to Spain to some theme park (not sure where). We were lucky as we were there for the 300th anniversary celebrations which included closing the runway and having a linked hands human chain around the territory (not organised by the ATC!). Also HMS Ocean was there and we had a tour of the ship and helicopters and a display from the anti piracy team from the RN with a view onboard of them showing what a rig attack looks like and what they can do to defend it. Plus a random chat from the Secretary for Defence Geoff Hoon MP.

For a cadet camp not a bad one!

1 Like

Bet you did flying and gliding as well :joy:

2 Likes

I did Wildenrath - Phantoms, and Gutersloh - Chinooks.

I also went to Rheindahlen, in an AAC Gazelle, from Wildenrath.

I also did Bardufoss, that wasn’t intended as a camp, but our C-130 broke down. Excellent skive off school - I enjoyed calling the school to tell them I wouldn’t be back the next day. The noise of RNoAF F-16’s roaring down the runway apparently could be heard on the answerphone…

1 Like

CCF camps in Cyprus this year

1 Like

Rammstein was still a thing in 2016 when I went. I remember a cadet doing Rheindalen in the 2010s and one who went to Akrotiri as well, both from my Squadron.

Scratch that, it was possibly Sennelager as I can see Rheindahlen closed in 2013 - I am sure it was after that time.

As a cadet I did Malta & Germany at Laarbruch and as staff did Wildenrath and Cyprus. Apologies if my spelling of the Germany camps is off the mark.

Anyone looking at an overseas camp for their squadron could maybe think about Ypres. Lots of decent school type accommodation and masses of history. The Last Post ceremony is also very special.