Over promoting

That can work, but you can do it the other way and use it as a ‘test’ of the new (for instance) Sgt that they train the new Cpl on their tasks.

I always go the other way. So do the Sergeant to Flight Sergeant, then the Corporal to Sergeant etc

The test should be which of the old Cpls embrace the new ones and give them a good training package/handover. These are the ones that then deserve to be promoted to Sgt.

That almost sounds like you’re rewarding a single act, rather than looking for a pattern of behaviour over several months.

There’s a middle ground between the two which can work.

4 Likes

Absolutely not. Its an extra element to base your promotions on, on top of the usual criteria/matrix.

I’m sure you’re not, just saying it can sound like it.

It’s a personal preference thing, no right or wrong answer. I like the notion that a new Sgt gets to test their delegation and management by looking after the new cpl, rather than continuing their hands on leadership role they had beforehand.

But, it all comes down to the individual squadron. Different sizes, different make ups, different establishments, etc.

First job as Sergeant: train the new corporal. I take this view too.

As for rank scales, I’m as pragmatic as possible about it. There are duties and responsibilities that can be handed out as a Cpl job that keeps them fulfilled and justified that avoids too many fighting to be top dog over the same scenarios. They have their roles, they generally stick to them, they are complementary promoting teamwork, and they only cross-pollinate where required due to absence or assistance being requested.

Other side of the coin, I’ve run with only Cpls before because they weren’t ready.

It’s not fair to promote too soon, but it’s also not right for our operation to not make use of the talent available and reward skills and efforts that deserve it. There are extremes to be avoided though…

1 Like