Officer board advice

Hello - you’ll get lots of advice and comments, and I found lots of ridiculous comments.

I went from being a FS to Officer, just 18 months before I was due my WO. However, I was at the time of my life I wanted more responsibility and ultimately wanted to be an OC (the reality is most Officer will be a Sqn Cdr within 18 months of comission because there just isn’t enough officers in the corps)

It’s the acceptance of going from a doer to a planner - one of the hardest transitions. This doesn’t mean you won’t do at all just a lot less often. What type of officer you will be - that’s down to you, whether your stuck in the Officer on a Sqn night is down to you. I was always taught to spend at least half the parade night with the cadets whether that’s teaching, assessing, observing, (interfering also works)

I enjoyed my time as a SNCO, and I’m enjoying my time as an Officer. Two very different roles (although with some overlaps!) both very rewarding

here?

2 Likes

I thought this was safe guarding 101 - don’t “interfere” with cadets.

1 Like

If I could add my 2pence worth.

I had always wanted to go the commission route, I knew this from being a senior cadet.

I wanted to design the path my cadets would walk down rather than simply lead them down a path.

I know that the role of officers/SNCOs are more intertwined now due to the lack of both in the corps, however you still need to answer the questions appropriate to the role.

I’m also from the same area of the country as you, so feel free to send a PM.

1 Like

No not here - when I was going through the application from SNCO to Officer. Such as Make sure I give a lesson more as an officer than a NCO. My teaching style hasn’t change from SNcO to Officer and it won’t!

2 Likes

How did you find your board? Any hints or more specifically what answers for now wanting commission.

Can you pm me ?

@ letsthink430

It’s worth noting (and I believe this is a wider move) that interviews have become a lot more “bish bash bosh” with abrupt questions and answers - not the flowing story-telling affair that a lot of interviews can be.

You should make sure you get some time with someone “in the know” in your Wing about the format - WSC Or WSO.

1 Like