Oasc

Hi all,

Can anybody fill me in on what is now involved with going for a commission please!

Many Thanks

Dambuster

Filter interview at Wing
Attendance at OASC if successful
If successful at OASC, recommended for commission.

Any particular parts of the process you want info on? There’s a few information booklets on SharePoint in the forms library about pre-preparation etc.

thanks mate,

yeah im after the interview criteria really as that i believe is probably the hardest part?

I did the full OASC course for when I went to Cranwell as an instructor.

Whilst the hand/eye/foot coordination exercises & some of the group exercise have changed slightly since then, the interview is seen as the hardest as you cannot really prepare for some aspects of it. You should already know your personal background (first interviewer) but the second interviewer gets down to your motivation, Service knowledge & world affairs knowledge. This is seen as the harder element of the interview as you will have to discuss your opinions & show the depth of your relevant knowledge.

As with any interview, if you give them some “drop out” information (…whilst the captain of the University under-water basket weaving team, we went on a trip to the Artic…), expect to get follow on questions! :wink:

There is a good summary here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/RAF_-_How_to_Join_and_Preparing_for_Interviews

Also look through the Student Room for other tips.

many thanks for this i think it will be a long haul but ive been around with this for a while and at least would like to give it a shot!

[quote=“MikeJenvey” post=11247]I did the full OASC course for when I went to Cranwell as an instructor.

Whilst the hand/eye/foot coordination exercises & some of the group exercise have changed slightly since then, the interview is seen as the hardest as you cannot really prepare for some aspects of it. You should already know your personal background (first interviewer) but the second interviewer gets down to your motivation, Service knowledge & world affairs knowledge. This is seen as the harder element of the interview as you will have to discuss your opinions & show the depth of your relevant knowledge.

As with any interview, if you give them some “drop out” information (…whilst the captain of the University under-water basket weaving team, we went on a trip to the Artic…), expect to get follow on questions! :wink:

There is a good summary here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/RAF_-_How_to_Join_and_Preparing_for_Interviews

Also look through the Student Room for other tips.[/quote]

I don’t remember doing any hand/eye/foot coordination on my OASC. Is that a Regular thing?

[quote=“Baldrick” post=11257]I don’t remember doing any hand/eye/foot coordination on my OASC. Is that a Regular thing?[/quote]The standard aircrew assessment at OASC.
The VR(T) is a cut-down version tuned for our requirements.

[quote=“incubus” post=11258][quote=“Baldrick” post=11257]I don’t remember doing any hand/eye/foot coordination on my OASC. Is that a Regular thing?[/quote]The standard aircrew assessment at OASC.
The VR(T) is a cut-down version tuned for our requirements.[/quote]

Good thing too. With my eyesight I’d have tanked!

Maybe the OP should be more clear as to whether it’s a VR(T) commission that they’re after or a regular.

There’s a big difference having done both.

Best advice I can give is enjoy it! I bloody loved OASC and OIC. Get prepped about speed/distance/time calcs, and have a clear goal. for the interview be confident and start boning up on world and UK affairs as already suggested.I had to give 3 topics on both, and talk in depth about one of each (uk/world). so make sure you know what you’re talking about. Dont blag it. Humour is fine, just dont over do it. The hangar is great, when its your turn to lead, try to use SMEAC (they like that in OIC), when its not, dont take over. For the debate, get your point across, but dont be overbearing. Get involved, dont hide and enjoy it (again)!

In my Wing the process is as follows.

1. Chat with OC Sqn - complete application paperwork.
  2. Interview with WSO - paperwork then sent to Wing
  3. Filter Interview with OC Wing & WingExO
  4. Attend OASC (2 days - interview, individual & group planning exercises, hangar tests, group discussion)
  5. If successful at OASC attend Wing USTC and complete drill test with WWO prior to OIC
  6. Attend OIC

MB

Here is some detailed guidance on the interview content. If you don’t have sharepoint access drop me a PM.

MB

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/NorthRegion/GM/Shared%20Documents/Activities/Staff%20Development/Application%20for%20RAFVR(T)%20Commission/Filter%20Interview/GMW%20-%20Guidance%20for%20commissioning%20filter%20interview.doc

[quote=“Mike Bravo” post=11305]In my Wing the process is as follows.

1. Chat with OC Sqn - complete application paperwork.
  2. Interview with WSO - paperwork then sent to Wing
  3. Filter Interview with OC Wing & WingExO
  4. Attend OASC (2 days - interview, individual & group planning exercises, hangar tests, group discussion)
  5. If successful at OASC attend Wing USTC and complete drill test with WWO prior to OIC
  6. Attend OIC

MB[/quote]

1. 1st interview with OC - puts it back for 6 months in order for me to develop (I will admit with hindsight he was spot on.)
  2. 2nd Interview with OC - agrees I should be commissioned, but as he is handing over to new OC in a month, says it makes more sense for her to fill in the forms.
  3. 1st Interview with new OC - All up for it, but old OC has lost completed appplications…
  4. refill application form
  5. Interview with Sector Commander - All up for it, puts me forward for wing board
  6. 5 month wait for wing board to be told that WgExO is refusing to conduct boards as he won’t work out of hours. WingCO sympathises, but as he has been told he will be imminently replaced, but not when, he can’t book anything in advance.
  7. Transfer back to my original wing as I finished University, but hadn’t had my place confirmed at law school.
    8 ) Speak to new WingCo, he agrees to interview me, based on original recommendations in previous wing, ASAP
  8. Wing Interview
  9. Pass Interview, recommended for Regional Interview
  10. Told that Regional Boards have been scrapped, now have to wait 4 months for OASC
  11. Attended OASC
  12. Waited 8 weeks to be told I passed OASC and would be commissioned.
  13. Attended OIC. Passed.

All in all, from initial application to Commission, 2 Years, 9 months.

2 years 9 months! no wonder this organisation has trouble retaining staff - i’d have walked before that.

luckily mine was pre-OASC and fairly quick, IIRC c.6 months application to Regional Board.

[quote=“uivenger” post=11310]2 years 9 months! no wonder this organisation has trouble retaining staff - i’d have walked before that.

luckily mine was pre-OASC and fairly quick, IIRC c.6 months application to Regional Board.[/quote]

If anything the unbearable incompetence I faced among the officers in my first wing made me more determined. (I could hardly do any worse)
To be fair, from Wing board in the second wing to OIC was 9 months, and I couldn’t really blame them for the changeover to OASC. Just took 2 years for the first wing to do almost nothing.

Speaking to P staff, the absolute biggest hold up is regions. OASC staff get their report done by the following day if not sooner mostly. It then goes to other places for comment and approval, which is the hold up from there!

Whereas…

1. informal chat one night with WSO who was visiting OC and had the “new” paperwork just in.
  2. Fill in paperwork the following week and hand back to WSO.
  3. Wing board less than 2 weeks later - still on the “old style”, not the filter interview.
  4. OASC paperwork filled in a week after that.
  5. Wait 6 weeks for the OASC med officer to accept that I was ok to do the fitness test before I could book a course.
  6. OASC fitness test scrapped in the meantime. Phone Wing the same day and get booked onto OASC for a couple of months time.
  7. OASC, then 2 1/2 weeks later hear that I was successful.
  8. Book onto OIC for couple of months later.
  9. Pass OIC.

Total time from paperwork to Off Cdt was 6 months, to Plt Off 9 months. So it can be quicker if the process works. I think that the process generally falls over at local level, rather than at HQAC / OASC level. The big sticking point there was waiting for the OASC medical to be approved - I was advised this could take months - and as soon as that was dropped from the process I was allowed to book onto the next OASC. But then my Wing is generally really good with their admin, maybe I was just lucky !

I haven’t even filled in the forms yet. My OC and WSO have had an informal chat, and both are in agreement that I should be put forward.

However, I was looking into the process a little while I was waiting for my OC’s opinion, and I found Pers Form 2-01C on BADER:

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/Forms/Pers%20Form%202-01C.pdf

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, it is a handy guide on what to expect at OASC. I can only assume that it is current, although it refers to the fitness test which gatekrash has said has been dropped (and which a Plt Off I know on a nearby squadron said was not undertaken when he attended OASC).

However, if this form is correct, I am ineligible for VR(T). Under “Medical and Fitness”, it says:

My BMI is (currently) about 33. I am working to lose a little weight, but at the current rate, it will be a few months before I have ducked under 30, considerably delaying my application (my Wing has a shortage of officers - and, worryingly, most of those who are currently VR(T) would fall at this same hurdle if they applied now!).

Can any of you wonderful people confirm whether this is still correct, or has this policy been changed without updating the form?

[quote=“RightOn” post=12318]I haven’t even filled in the forms yet. My OC and WSO have had an informal chat, and both are in agreement that I should be put forward.

However, I was looking into the process a little while I was waiting for my OC’s opinion, and I found Pers Form 2-01C on BADER:

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/Forms/Pers%20Form%202-01C.pdf

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, it is a handy guide on what to expect at OASC. I can only assume that it is current, although it refers to the fitness test which gatekrash has said has been dropped (and which a Plt Off I know on a nearby squadron said was not undertaken when he attended OASC).

However, if this form is correct, I am ineligible for VR(T). Under “Medical and Fitness”, it says:

My BMI is (currently) about 33. I am working to lose a little weight, but at the current rate, it will be a few months before I have ducked under 30, considerably delaying my application (my Wing has a shortage of officers - and, worryingly, most of those who are currently VR(T) would fall at this same hurdle if they applied now!).

Can any of you wonderful people confirm whether this is still correct, or has this policy been changed without updating the form?[/quote]

I have never seen this before but I have never gone for a commission but I would be very intrested to know if this is the case as one of the CI’s on my Sqn is going for a commission and is way over 30 BMI.

Is he a rugby player? For some reason everyone who fails on BMI seems to be a rugby player… :wink: