OASC Jan 18

If you were to fail OASC, is there any chance that you would be offered a different branch or would you just be told to wait a year?

Depends entirely on how / why you fail, which bit you’ve failed, etc.

Too many variables to say.

Cross that bridge when you come to it, don’t make drama for yourself where there isn’t any

It really doesn’t make sense to me to have youth club instructors sit OASC, that’s a lot of money, time and effort that could be given to actual frontline issues and RAF roles/recruitment/running.

4 Likes

Maybe it’s a way of breaking in new OASC selection boards as really the selectee’s will have no impact on the wider regular RAF training system and beyond.

There is absolutely no equivilence between RAFAC training and 24 weeks at DIOT or SERE 8 weeks.

That’s an interesting way of utilising it, but I doubt any officer would have come up with anything so logical and useful. Unless it came with caviar, a payrise and shares in Sodexo.

Originally we were told it was about standardising selection and recruitment of VRT officers across the 6 regions. It helped stopped some of the Region specific benchmarking which was happening.

In practice, I understand it was also to do with OASC - a really expensive selection centre - sitting empty for several weeks a year. HQAC and OASC hatched a plan to put VRT officers through it to help justify OASCs continuation - but also gave VRTs a bit of “RAFness” when it comes to running youth clubs.

1 Like

But it doesn’t. OASC bears no resemblance to RAF training, which in turn bears no resemblance to RAF life.
All it’s doing is giving walts a gross air of superiority.

4 Likes

Oh indeed life outside Sleaford Technical College is totally different to life within it. They never really tell you in your first posting that you will rely and need your junior and senior NCOs to find your way around.

I’m not disagreeing with you there. But the Ivory Towers think it matters.

2 Likes