OASC - Individual Planning Exercise - MATHS!

I assume that they haven’t implemented minimum GCSE/A-level requirements because they aren’t looking for academic smarts, they are looking for the ability to think on your feet and make reasonable decisions. I feel that the planning exercises at OASC are a good test of this.

Not sure how my comment shows a lack of respect? I respect any skills that an individual chooses to contribute to the Corps. I just feel that the skills tested by the planning exercises are essential for VRT officers. It’s the one part of the whole process that is most similar to the day-to-day of a squadron officer.

The only exercise that (academically) was a struggle was the individual planning exercise, the hangar exercises, group discussion and interview were great and I can certainly see how these relate to being an Officer on an ATC Sqn.

What I still fail to understand is why you feel that struggling on one exercise makes it difficult to be a credible VRT officer.

Hi, Matt

I will be applying for commission next year and since, I gather you have quite a bit of experience on this matter any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated. Also where would be the best place to buy good prep books for the aptitudes such as speed/time etc. Thank you

Regards

Prem

Everything you need to practice the planning exercises is in the OASC Prep Booklet (Pers Form 2-01C) - It can be found on Sharepoint here: https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/_layouts/15/WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc=/QM/Controlled%20Documents/Pers%20Form%202-01C.docx&action=default

I was at OASC recently, and as best I could tell, it was much less about the maths and more about how you coped with the pressure of it. They give you a very specific amount of time on your own in silence to do the planning, after which you have 30 seconds to get to the room in which you’re quizzed about it. They’ll ask you about your plan in detail, after which they’ll pick it apart and (even if you did well) - throw problems at you to see how you react.

I’m awful at maths, but I managed to come to a solution for the presented problem. That said, no idea if I passed yet!

My biggest suggestion is to practice all sorts of SDT calcs, and get good at converting mph into miles/min or min/miles, to the point when (for example) 72mph comes up you think “ah, that’s one and a fifth miles per minute”.

You can buy guides - the “How2Become” series are fine, but in all honesty there’s nothing in them that you can’t find for free on the internet.

eg http://www.speeddistancetime.info/