G-suits

I was wondering if we wear g-suits when we go flying in Tutors. Also what do g-suits do and would they remove that feeling of G-force when flying something like a Typhoon or Hawk T1, or any aircraft for that matter, at high levels of acceleration force?

G suits squeeze the blood out of your extremities into your trunk and head, to stop you passing out at the high-G maneuvers that fast jets pull. That’s the extent of my knowledge, I’m not a squipper.

No, you do not wear them in the Tutor, they’re only really for fast jet jockeys. The rotary wing crewmen will not wear them, neither will multi engine.

I was thinking, what about those A400M pilots you see doing aerobatics at airshows (for example, RIAT 2017)? Would they wear g-suits or do they not do such high G manoeuvres.

If you’re throwing a cab that size through Gs that require a G-suits, the suit will be the last of your worries. You’ll probably end up sheering the wings off.

2 Likes

The loady who’s walking around in the back probably wouldn’t be having a good time at those high G turns either… ragdoll springs to mind.

1 Like

G suits - fast jets only - but they only increase the “G” tolerance by a certain amount, you need to add on effective “straining / tensing” muscle actions. Seat angle can also enhance the amount of G that can be experienced before adverse symptoms appear.

I did (as a pax, with G suit) the demonstration 9G turning manoeuvre in a Hawk, & I was just about hanging in there - no ability to do anything practical though!

Anything less than a sustained 6G and there’s little point in a G-suit.

Mind you, why do Tornado crews wear them?:grinning:

Used to wear an AVS (air-ventilated suit) on the Vulcan; the connector used to look very similar to a G suit - always used to tell the fast jet jocks that we did we wear such equipment which was why we could out-turn them. :wink:

3 Likes