Non-binary & transgender uniform

The fix is easy, take the least restrictive option from either gender, and remove the gender restriction.

If females can wear earrings, anyone can.

If females can wear their hair long and tied up, anyone can.

If males can wear full beards, anyone can.

13 Likes

That one is already in place. Women could always wear a beard as the old rules only required men to be clean shaven. The new regs are gender neutral on who can wear one.

2 Likes

Does that mean that weā€™re going to have to start telling some women that their current ā€˜beardā€™ is not to an acceptable standard and that they have to comply or shave?

3 Likes

Equality innit :wink:

6 Likes

Iā€™d conform mostly to RAF values - they seem to definitely be moving towards a wholly more inclusive service and their policy changes (whatever they may/will be) will reflect that.

1 Like

Sure, you first.

1 Like

I donā€™t think organisations actually realise what they potentially unleash with this sort of thing. They think they are being forward thinking with anti-discriminatory rules but they can open a can of worms which means enforcing the rules differently, which gets them in the news, as people push the rules. In the real world people donā€™t give a monkeyā€™s but in the military bubble not so ā€˜openā€™.

The MoD has probably been forced to act against itā€™s traditional rules to comply with their ā€œdiversity agendaā€. No point in letting all and sundry join or stay in if they change during their time in, and then have rules that donā€™t appease them.
The way to go is coveralls with t-shirts or similar for all, all the same job jobbed. Much cheaper and easier dress regs. Dress regs would be no more than 2 or 3 pages.

The one I remember was the boy who wore a skirt to school as they allowed girls to wear trousers and as I recall the school didnā€™t react well. But I made him right. Schools also seem get themselves in a knot with boys having really short hair as the military does with them having ā€œlongā€ hair.

Yeah, the ā€˜Diversity Agendaā€™ or as I prefer to call it. The Equality Act 2010.

8 Likes

So out of interest who would you like to allow in the corps? Boys only? Boys and girls but only the heterosexual ones? Only those whose gender matches with their biological sex?

And at what point of transition would you propose to kick people out?

1 Like

I remember this, I think the lads point was that the ladies had a version of summer dress and boys were not allowed to wear shorts - he and his friends didnā€™t want to wear skirts long term, they were just pointing out that the girls had a comfortable option for summer whereas the boys didnā€™t.

Honestly is this all not just a storm in a teacup? We have tens of thousands of people in the RAFAC, at any one time we are likely to only have a handful where this will be an issue.

So on those occasions why donā€™t we just have a straightforward and sensible conversation with them asking how they would like to wear the uniform - and instead of getting excited about things as itā€™s not in the book - we just let it go and let them get on with it?

Other cadets couldnā€™t care less, and if the staff do then that says more about them than anything else.

This is a very limited and exceptional circumstance. The world isnā€™t going to burn because of it.

1 Like

There should still be at least some overarching policy. It means people are treated fairly and it reduces the anxiety of the young people involved.

3 Likes

To avoid any confusion or misreading of the rules, I say we all wear coveralls, all the time, same for everyone regardless.

Couldnā€™t disagree more.

Sameā€¦ They make my backside look Huge. Plus it will make them look like they are on day release

3 Likes

God no.
This isnt north Korea.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s hardly fair.

North Koreaā€™s uniforms are far from gender neutralā€¦

4 Likes

Imagine coveralls all the timeā€¦

When you have Remembrance Sunday at 11 but 60 minute makeover at 2 :man_facepalming:t2:

Into the bin that idea goes!

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this one, it is the same with Army (and Navy) uniform. Different body types will require a different fit/cut, but the overall style should be the same!

Coveralls are the ultimate in androgyny which is where is tends to lead if you want to go down the route that appeals to all comers in terms of 'gender identity" and avoid conflicts of any kind. Then there are the other bits like shoes, hair and as mentioned jewellery. It really needs to be as simple as possible with no or very simple variants, which even a casual glance at the regs means it wouldnā€™t be possible, should be but wouldnā€™t and I bet people would have to get permission, signed off by several people to dress differently, rather than just do it. It should be as simple changing your dietary regime.

What amuses me is that a walk around any town or military establishment and you see women wearing dresses and trousers (sometimes together) along with other unisex clothing and some look more like men than men, donā€™t see many men wearing dresses or skirts as every day wear. So the idea for women at least the notion of dressing as the opposite sex, is well established and generally accepted in society.

1 Like

extraordinary

5 Likes