No Pockets For Females?

To be fair this seems like a really reasonable option

Too slow! :wink:

1 Like

To be fair, knowing how much my sisters and wife prize garments with actually usable pockets I bet this is a gripe which the regular RAF female personnel share. I bet they would all love a working skirt with pockets they could chuck a phone in without needing to carry their handbag everywhere.

It is antiquated, it is sexist and it should be changed.

7 Likes

I agree. What can/should we do we do about it?
(the answer “nothing” is unacceptable, by the way)

1 Like

Let’s all withdraw our labour in support of the oppressed.

Oh wait we’re volunteers.

2 Likes

I’d suggest writing a short paper which can go up the chain. State the issue and the benefit (practical advantages and RAF’s image as an inclusive employer).
If issues like WO badges, RAFAC slides and cadet TRFs can get to the clothing committee, this should have a chance too.

3 Likes

Perhaps, as volunteers, we have the freedom to complain, which regulars don’t? If we start the ball rolling, the RAF women may follow, and the RAF, which prizes itself on its inclusivity, is very proud of its consistent Stonewall Top 100 placement, may take heed?

3 Likes

The paper idea is sound, but can we jump some of the chain and get the ear (and support) of someone at an exec level to mitigate the change of it getting “lost” lower down?

I’m thinking RC(N) or RWO (L&SE) level

Hmmm. Perhaps include @RAFGender too?

4 Likes

The paper should go through the chain formally but it would definitely be helpful to get as much visibility of it as possible, as you suggest. Getting some regular RAF involvement and visibility would help too.

Interested parents could always raise the issue with CAC and RAFGender on Twitter as well.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Female Pockets