No Pockets For Females?

to add to incubus’s comment:

Any change will need to be agreed by some MOD Committee = not likely a quick process if only because those who make those decisions don’t meet frequently

any change will have to come at the end of a clothing supply contract = could be some years away

once the contract is renewed, the change(s) made to the uniform will go to the regulars first = ie cadets at the bottom of the priority list

once supply is universal across the whole of the RAF and only then will the Cadets starts to see the “new” kit reach us with any reliability and quality we can issue to Cadets.

it took at least two years before the new “greens” uniform reached the Air Cadets, and now, 4+ years on we haven’t made a 100% transition yet this is kit which is readily available on the shelf and can be bought from any and all army surplus shop, various online retailers and other merchants such as eBay and Amazon.

although I appreciate the situation our hands are very much tied as indicated by above.

can things be changed? of course, but if even it was rubber stamped tomorrow it could be years before Cadet Squadrons saw any of the new kit due to when the contracts change…

When I was a cadet the girls on my squadron either carried it their waist band, or more usually in their bra, though that resulted in an “interesting” look.
Thankfully the CCF(RAF) don’t have record of service books that you have to carry around at all times so we don’t have this problem with our female cadets.

However long it takes to complete a change, never beginning takes longer.

There’s literally nothing we as Air Cadet volunteers can do about it though - the people who make these decisions operate so far above our heads that they might as well be on the moon.

2 Likes

A uniform change request needs to be raised by a 1 star minimum I.e. Air Commodore or above, Members of the RAFAC (and including parents or guardians )have zero influence on the direction of uniform in the RAF

It then goes to the uniform committee…this process alone can take up to 2 years as a solid business case needs to be developed for the reason of change and the meetings only happen quarterly which they are already backed up with requests…mostly pilots wanting ribbons on their shirts. Then procurement kicks in that takes several months and then supplying and distribution will take probably another 3 to 4 years to actually reach the wardrobes of cadets…

The RAF work at snails pace.

My old WO used to cut pockets out of unserviceable trousers and suggest the girls stitch pockets into the waist band of the skirt to carry the 3822.

Purse belts were a kind of compromise, but IIRC you couldn’t even fit a MOD90 (the ID card) in the pocket, which made it pretty useless for anything beyond some spare change.

I’m not quite sure what else needs to be said here; please can we close this thread, we are going round in circles.

Cadets get (free) uniform supplied by their branch of the Armed Services, in our case the RAF; even when there are no “design” issues, we may not be able to get our full entitlement, or, it may take years to drip-feed down to us.

There is no perceived need for the RAF to fit pockets in skirts, nor will there be, as it is not a safety, “operational” or dress standard issue. Ergo, cadets will not get pockets in skirts. This will not change, however much we might desire it.

Sensible “self-help” solutions have been proffered.

Incidentally, the RAF banned female personnel from wearing skirts on parade!

It was actually wings on shirts! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. I have (for the most part) found them helpful.

Get a tailor to install a hidden pocket the sits inside the skirt attached to the waist band. I’ve seen this before and seems like an easy solution.

To be fair this seems like a really reasonable option

Too slow! :wink:

1 Like

To be fair, knowing how much my sisters and wife prize garments with actually usable pockets I bet this is a gripe which the regular RAF female personnel share. I bet they would all love a working skirt with pockets they could chuck a phone in without needing to carry their handbag everywhere.

It is antiquated, it is sexist and it should be changed.

7 Likes

I agree. What can/should we do we do about it?
(the answer “nothing” is unacceptable, by the way)

1 Like

Let’s all withdraw our labour in support of the oppressed.

Oh wait we’re volunteers.

2 Likes

I’d suggest writing a short paper which can go up the chain. State the issue and the benefit (practical advantages and RAF’s image as an inclusive employer).
If issues like WO badges, RAFAC slides and cadet TRFs can get to the clothing committee, this should have a chance too.

3 Likes

Perhaps, as volunteers, we have the freedom to complain, which regulars don’t? If we start the ball rolling, the RAF women may follow, and the RAF, which prizes itself on its inclusivity, is very proud of its consistent Stonewall Top 100 placement, may take heed?

3 Likes

The paper idea is sound, but can we jump some of the chain and get the ear (and support) of someone at an exec level to mitigate the change of it getting “lost” lower down?

I’m thinking RC(N) or RWO (L&SE) level

Hmmm. Perhaps include @RAFGender too?

4 Likes

The paper should go through the chain formally but it would definitely be helpful to get as much visibility of it as possible, as you suggest. Getting some regular RAF involvement and visibility would help too.

Interested parents could always raise the issue with CAC and RAFGender on Twitter as well.

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Female Pockets