No 8 Rifle Safety Case

It really beggars belief.

I even went to the MOD department who published the original tendering specification, & was told that “the experts know what they are doing.” Clearly not.

The concept of a cadet tgt rifle should not have gone down the “militarised” route for this type of design. It would have been entirely different if a .22" compatible “service rifle” option had been the preferred choice.

It wasn’t, we have been sold a pup.

It would seem that local provision might have to be a solution - let’s go & buy some Anschutz Youth rifles - oh, they do far more than the L144, immensely better quality, no issues with servicing or spare parts, ability to add on lots of extras - this should have been a primary choice to replace the No 8. Accept lesser numbers, you get what you pay for. Ah, no safety catch for SASC to come up with inappropriate NSPs for a single shot rifle…

Today I received an email today saying that all LPW .22 shooting is to cease immediately. Hmmm.

Waiting for a “pending” decision from the Ivory Towers, I believe… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve had no such email. What for this time? Wind in the wrong direction?

Just seen sight of an email saying we may be getting No8 rifles back.

I believe that it is linked to the “pending” decision / update from on high, so the relevant DDH has said stop… Hopefully it will be rescinded once those above provide the relevant “solution.”

I’ve been told that the DIN for the No8 is being extended until mid-2018. Which explains why we were told not to let the armouries take them back.

Ok for those that could…
All ours were removed and quarantined as nobody would service them!

We were told from on high not to return them even if they were out of date.

For various reasons we didn’t get that luxury
They were ordered to be handed in

Ditto. Ours are long gone.

(30 Jun 2018 for new DIN)

When the first endex for the No 8 was announced, I made a bet to myself that it would be at least another 2 yrs in service… I might have to revise my bet to extend the date further…

All this was very predictable & avoidable.

2 Likes

All ours are gone :frowning: Replaced by shiny new L144 :slight_smile:

…until rust gets to them…

because you didn’t oil them.

I was surprised by how much cleaning the pamphlet reckons they need.

Probably because the pamphlet was written by some SASC moron and not someone who actually understands the world of small-bore rifle shooting.

Probably because they are cheap steel barrels? How often do Anschutz barrels require cleaning, let alone oiling…??

Go cheap, pay the consequences.

I got to do the WHT for the L98 without having fired anything else. Just have to fire an air rifle now and then I can actually use it.

You have to attain trained shot, not just fire it…

‘Twas a figure of speech.