New tent

That’s what I’m pushing because I don’t want to turn this camping malarkey into something what will require a mortgage to fund!

1 Like

I’d just buy a couple of £5-£15 blankets off Amazon and have them designated for the floor… Also good if you have a dog (not sure if you do?) as they are then less likely to put a hole in the floor!

No

The only priority purchases are your sleeping system. Bag and sleeping mat (or camp bed if that’s your style).

Get those right and you can cope with almost anything. Get it wrong and then no matter what you do, you’ll have a miserable time.

Especially you if the whole camping thing was your idea.

4 Likes

Luckily had a gucci double self inflating air bed that she’s quite happy with!!

2 Likes

Yeah they are pretty good, the neighbouring Squadron has one for the Command Tent on DofE which we used to borrow.

So new Coleman Cortes octagon arrived and I’ve put it up in the garden… It might be a bit too big for 2 of us

Time for a baby then

I’d rather gargle vomit

1 Like

We said that but by the time the good lady “personalised” it was just about big enough for us.

Wait until you take it out a few times and see how you feel

1 Like

Come again?

1 Like

You’ll be surprised. SWMBO and I have a 4-man family tent for the pair of us, we fill it every time.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s getting that bad a caravan would be the next step for us with the amount someone packs

#nextgeneration <3

A large tent that the staff use with a table, chairs, electrical hook up etc. Don’t tell me you sleep on the floor?

#funsponges

1 Like

We’re just back from a few days camping to make sure the puppy is used to camping from an early age. Car-camping - yes we have a carpet, makes sitting on the floor with the dogs much more enjoyable, never had a problem with it moving / slipping, we have the Vango Icarus 500 with Vango Carpet. We also have a kitchen unit, (Outwell Padre Table) keeps everything in one place and zipped up means the food is away from puppy temptation (he has discovered a love/obsession of cheese this weekend!) - and no, we didn’t pay the current prices for it either, had it a few years now before camping stuff went silly prices.
Equally happy wild camping with just the kit you can carry but for basing yourself somewhere for a few days, a bit of luxury is a must :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cooking set up is the next stage of research and investment

Yes I do actually.
I have a personal rule, in that i do what the cadets do and I dont expect anyone to do something I wouldnt be prepared to do myself.

The day I cant or wont, is the day I stop being a Sqn OC.

2 Likes

Same reason I’m happy to mop the bogs if needs be

1 Like

If I’m leading an expedition sure, but if I’m remote supervising it (as I would be a DofE) and I’m staying on a different campsite (as I will be on DofE) I see no need to be uncomfortable for the sake of it.

Generally I’ll book hardened accommodation for the Staff if I possibly can.

1 Like