Mod Sponsored Cadets Forces: 2024 Stats Published

Seriously impressive to be honest. An obvious, and expected drop from 2020 to 2022 from Covid, which is not surprising. But an amazing recovery from 22 to 24.

I know loads of units have been putting in a lot of work to get cadets through the door since covid, so this really shows that has worked, in spite of HQ actions and the reduction in number of CFAV.

5 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Dire ATC CFAV decline, recruitment, and retention

Even more interesting:
I know I few units that have put very little work into getting cadets through the door, and they’re still getting loads of recruits.

5 Likes

I think the maintenance of cadet numbers is simply down to a societal behaviour that HQAC can’t manage out and has nothing to do with how appealing the RAFAC offer is.

Parents want their children supervised for them as cheaply as possible.

6 Likes

Spot on

One of my friends sat their squadron commanders course during covid and one of the cohort asked the CoS, instead of putting in all these new courses online and in classrooms, have you thought about asking the cadets what they want to do, to which he got the response:

“If we asked the cadets what activities they want to do more of, they’d just say the activities they enjoy”

Ah that’s what that spike on the Richter scale in Lincolnshire was - the sound of the course chins collectively hitting the floor.
kidding

Cognitive dissonance, willful ignorance, or naivety?

They aren’t forced to be cadets, they pay to be cadets, if they don’t enjoy being a cadet then they will stop.

Hmm, sounds a bit like the staff situation - not paid, poorly reimbursed, here by choice.

Another example of the military way and mindset being completely antagonistic and inappropriate in a voluntary organisation.

2 Likes

Give me strength…

2 Likes

That’s a perfect illustration of the completely different mindsets of some senior HQAC leaders and most volunteers. Delivering for the RAF (or what they think the RAF and industry need) vs delivering for the cadets (and developing well rounded, confident young people)

After 30+ years in the organisation, I’ve seen a huge move over the last few years away from delivering for cadets. I always thought I’d be involved with the ATC for life, like so many friends and people that I admire. It’s not such an appealing option any more, sadly.

7 Likes

This :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

1 Like

These are people who think their kids actually want to do after school Maths club.

They’re on Crack.

2 Likes

CFAVs too. We broadly enjoy the same activities as the cadets. We want to get out there, hands on with flying/VGS, fieldcraft, shooting, AT, etc. Let’s have more of what the troops want instead of what HQAC want. None of us want to teach boring classroom lessons to disinterested cadets.

7 Likes

What you want doesn’t fit in with STEM direction. STEM and sitting in a classroom is very low risk and ‘safe’, that does not inspire people outside the wire and cadets have enough of classroom based lessons every day of the week at school. Cadets come to the RAFAC for something different and to be away from staring at a screen.

2 Likes

And yet we turn more and more towards it.

2 Likes

Strongly disagree.

Flying = STEM, particularly if you fold in a bit of practical principles of flight.
Many leadership tasks are tech/engineering based
AT - navigation techniques such as resection are applied mathematics.

Bit of a stretch, but even shooting has mechanical/maths elements at long range/automatic levels.

We can do practical STEM. In some places we’re already good at it (try convincing me First Aid isn’t science). We need to emphasize the practical bit more.

2 Likes

Fact of life. Practical cyber is boring as hell.

1 Like

Depends …

Lecture people about Windows Updates yes.

But there’s plenty of age appropriate free resources out there. Even our own course doesn’t have to be dull. Just have to deliver it well.

3 Likes

“If one click adjusts 13mm at 25m, how many mm will it move the fall of shot at 100 metres…?”

1 Like

^ exactly this.