Lowland Leader vs Road Marching

If you have LL does this allow you to take groups out RM?

Or do you need the RM course specifically.

Just seems that LL qual should by being a more fully rounded course allow RM also.

Thanks

Pre-Covid the road marching team in my Wing were constantly asking for LLs to help out with training so I presume itā€™s cross-compatible.

Can you lead RM with only LL.

I suppose what Iā€™m asking is, is the RM course required to run RM on and at Sqn level?

Just looking for covid safe options for activities.
Ta

Now itā€™s been split, I believe you need the road marching specific qual.

I donā€™t believe (personally) that a Lowland Leader should be able to lead road marching activities - they are different, have different training and management considerations etc.

A lowland leader with previous demonstrable road marching experience? Maybe thatā€™s OK.

2 Likes

Your wing has struggled for years since Huw stopped marching. I have offered my help for the last couple of years but nothing has come of it.

Usually a wing requirement for LL for RM was because the WATTO didnā€™t understand that RM didnā€™t need the qual.

I also have to heavily disagree with many of you on route choices for road marching. My preferences for road marching training have always been cycle paths and tow paths. Places which are paved, but flat, so you can get decent speeds up while marching in a squad without having to worry so much about a mad driver flying around the corner and totalling the lot of you. Flat locations are also good training for the Netherlands.

The next best place to train is country roads, where traffic is slower or next to non-existent.

4 Likes

I think the problem was that there was actually nothing saying that you didnā€™t need a qualification, as an activity it was broadly lumped under AT and as a result people looked for the closest match, which is a trekking qualification.

1 Like

Having done the long walk in the Netherlands several times, the ACRoMatI is not the document that I would have produced. RM has started from a very low level and there is much in the ACroMaTI that is good but there is some I do not agree with. I donā€™t think the RMTL course prepared the team leader for very long marches. Good for Blue and Bronze but not Gold level. Staff going from a novice to taking a team to Nijmegen in 9 months is a big ask and I donā€™t think that the ACRoMaTI has got it right yet.

2 Likes

i included this as it put weight behind the comment @Baldrick made as the two activities are the same
ā€œsleeping outdoors under shelterā€

i accept however arriving at the campsite, and the equipment available is different. but to camp outside in a tent and camp outside in a bivvy lets say as a 12 hour exercise 1900-0700 with the sole aim to spend a night outside there is little to separate the two - yet (as far as i can tell) the two authorisations are not interchangeable.
a BEL or LLA canā€™t supervise a over night fieldcraft event nor can a fieldcraft authorised staff member be seen as the SME for a overnight in tents.

this is because of the two differences these are applied - create a real event where these two sleeping arrangements become part of something worth while I accept that the differences increase due to the application.

in our Wing yes - the team only march on roads. these are limited to B and C class roads to aid with controlling risks of traffic.
I guess it all depends what is available in the local area. those in the sticks of Scotland or Wales far more likely to find suitable routes to use than than in Central London

i think the disaparity is because of the different aims.

as i said before the different with flying.

As a Cadet my first ever flying experience was in a glider and the pilot was a Cadet FS, all we did was circuits as the weather wasnā€™t suitable to leave the circuit.

a few years later i returned to the VGS and completed my GS - and had a handful of instructors

the qualification difference between those two pilots/levels of flying are massive for what was essentially going for a 20-30 minutes of flying/gliding

however the difference in the aim and the risks are completely different which justifies the difference in the qual required

And this is the fundamental point - itā€™s about context, not just looking at elements in isolation. What is the actual activity being conducted? What skills, knowledge and experience are required?

Thatā€™s why a Lowland Leader canā€™t supervise a fieldcraft exercise, nor a fieldcraft instructor supervise a day walk - because the knowledge and experience required is different (but yes, some of the skills are the same). There are almost always transferable skills between various sets of qualifications; thatā€™s why some of my British Canoeing CPD can be used to count for my other awards, for example.

What the organisation fails to do is recognise prior learning between qualifications.

5 Likes

Quoting myself here, but what I forgot to add was that RPL is, and always has been, a thing with NGB qualifications - you can apply for exemption from training based on your experience (or in the new British Canoeing world, just go straight to assessment). So there is precedent.

I have both. Glad I did the RM qual as it is a different ā€˜beastā€™

Now that itā€™s split who is responsible for Bader sign offs? Iā€™ve not read the Road Marching Policy yet, its on my to do list.

The road marching bods, not AT bods.

Donā€™t bother, itā€™s no longer your problem :grin:

2 Likes

My kind of policy!

1 Like

Stupid Question Warning
When things get back to ā€˜normalā€™ if i want to get back into Road Marching (loved it as a cadet) speak to my Wing Road Marching officer (is that a thing) or WATTO?

marching.wing@rafacā€¦ should get you to someone, assuming your wing has someone assigned!

1 Like

there we goā€¦ iā€™d been searching road marching and almost every other iteration of a potential email address