Leadership tips

None of which explains how you go from ‘not a leader’ to ‘leader’, which has to be a binary state.

And I’d rather hope that on your first few goes as leader, that someone would at the very least be mentoring and reviewing your ability.

Back to the original question and, probably not appearing too relevant at the moment, maybe I could quote my example of good leadership.

In the early months of WW2 in the naval action generally known the the Battle of the River Plate, HMS Exeter was badly damaged by shellfire with the bridge being hit, all communication severed and all but the Captain and the Chief Yeoman badly injured. At the time the ship had been manoeuvring for a torpedo shot, but the crew at the torpedo tubes had not yet been informed.

The junior officer in charge realised that he had no communication with the bridge, but also recognised the manoeuvre and on his own authority fired the torpedoes. That was the sort of leadership that Captain Bell had fostered in his few months in command, that a man under his command should understand what he wanted them to do and, if necessary take responsibility and do it.

Leadership isn’t shouting orders, or books of regulations. Leadership making sure that your juniors understand what you want and want to achieve it for you. The navy, of course, has Nelson as an example.

The torpedoes missed.

1 Like

Thank you. That thoroughly explained it