Israel and Gaza 2023

“Strategic” does give it a credence which the technology of the time did somewhat struggle to match up to…

My understanding is that one purpose of the firebombing was to cause evacuation eastwards on such a scale that it would slow the Soviet advance. Had that been more successful, sparing Eastern Europe from decades of Soviet occupation would have been strategically significant.

The operation was directly requested by the Soviets and I’ve never seen that referenced anywhere.

The Soviets wanted it done to prevent the movement of troops on the eastern front.

2 Likes

It sounds like you have direct knowledge / quotable sources, so I’ll take that over an idea I’ve heard somewhere and can’t place.

1 Like

Thanks for providing that first hand account of the Dresden raid: it really cuts right through the post-war controversy, being written by someone who was at the sharp end of historical events.

We should also bear in mind that the USSR had no four-engined heavy strategic bombers until they copied USAAF B29s that were impounded after carrying out emergency landings in Siberia following raids upon Japan.
It therefore makes sense that such a large scale raid in support of the advancing Red Army would shorten the war in Europe, and indirectly help the western allied armies. Such a raid couldn’t have been done by the Soviet Air Force of WWII.

Whilst being in nowhere near as much danger as WWII RAF aircrew on operations whilst I was in the UK’s armed forces, I can debunk many of the media generated myths about the theatres I served in, having also been at the sharp end of three different governments’ defence and foreign policies. Even those carried out in the intervals between hostilities, such as the RAF’s air policing of Iraq in the 1990s, have historical relevance and are an important part of understanding the ongoing political developments that lead to the 2003 invasion.

2 Likes

This includes an excellent interview with a LEGAD that explains things like how proportionality is in relation to military advantage (i.e. not the same as ‘an eye for an eye’) and the difference between ‘war crimes’ and policy decisions (e.g. it was a policy decision to set the delegated authority / non-combatant casualty cut-off value to zero in Iraq and Afghanistan: not a requirement of IHL).

Looks like a related attack was planned in or near Denmark: Four arrests as Denmark foils alleged attack plot - BBC News

Same thing in France.

The Danes in particular have a very good intelligence service.

Looks to be the first proper “spread” of the conflict so far. An American-led coalition to patrol the Red Sea to deter and intercept Houthi attacks in support of Hamas against commercial shipping.

If the Houthis’ attacks continue, one has to wonder whether we will enter a “boots on the ground” scenario. Messing around with global shipping on a large scale can be a dangerous game to play.

This is not new. Started in 2022.

1 Like

Unconfirmed at this stage, but it looks like Israel may have attacked within Lebanese territory for the first time since 2006

1 Like

Well, looks like the Middle East is starting to get spicy again in general.

If it turns out to be a foreign actor, I can’t see the Iranians restraining themselves.

2 Likes

Saw a meme this morning.

“Born to late to fight and die in the sand box,
Born to early to find and die in the sand box,
Born just in time to fight and die in the sand box”

Just repeats doesn’t it?

3 Likes

Well, it just got spicier!

Given the Houthis’ claimed reasons for targeting passing vessels, I’m counting this as an expansion of the Israel/Gaza conflict.

2 Likes

It’s nothing to get that excited about: just routine Air Policing of restless natives, something the RAF did in Mesopotamia and Waziristan in the 1920s, and over Iraq in the 1990s. Behind it all are the other players of the Great Game in that region - China and Russia, with the other members of the Awkward Squad helping them this time around.
However this is where aircrew really earn their pay: the Houthi will now make their main aim that of shooting down one of our aircraft. We shouldn’t underestimate their ability to do so: they’re pretty well tooled up for everything else.
Like in the 1990s air operations over Iraq, there should be heavily armed SAR units covering the missions - relying on a Walther PP, gold sovereigns and a Goolie Chit to get you out of the country if you’re shot down doesn’t always work. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Reports of F18Gs going in first, and then there are assets such as Predator.

1 Like

(This is a good reminder that I need to catch up on the latest season or R&M!)

Did the Hornets have to fly in pairs at low level up a long valley running in from the coast, then climb steeply over a ridge and down the other side before having to release their bombs with split second timing?
“No-one’s ever done this before… not even him.”

3 Likes

Very possibly, two consecutive miracles.

1 Like