Is Sport Still Relevant to the RAFAC?

Re thread title as a whole; yes.

I speak from my own experience, as well as that of many other cadets who were either my peers, or are now under my charge.

Let’s be honest, we know the stereotype of air cadets. While I acknowledge that it doesn’t apply to all, of course, there is still a hefty number of cadets for whom the geek / nerd / swot / academic label does apply. These kids typically don’t do well at sports. They’re outclassed at school by the sporty kids, the ones who’ve been playing whatever sport since they could walk.

Our kids come to the sports later, in their teens, by which point they can’t catch up with their school peers.

Of course they’re not going to join external clubs, because why would they want to be embarrassed like that??!

So we get a group of kids who, actually, come to like sports, but in a slightly more controlled atmosphere, against like minded people. The competition does them wonders, they build confidence, build ability, and then when they’re ready, take it external and build on from it.

If I hadn’t won a couple of medals at Wing Athletics, I wouldn’t have put myself forward for school sports days, I wouldn’t have enjoyed sports to the point I proactively joined clubs at uni, and I wouldn’t have built up my fitness for joining the UAS and then joining the RAF proper. But it’s not even about the point that I won something. By being in a team that had my back I had confidence to try. And I enjoyed it. I wanted to do more.

Anyone who says air cadets sport isn’t worth the time doesn’t truly understand what we’re trying to do here.

9 Likes

No one doubts Sqn sports are important.

Wing and above events etc… different ball game.
Utter waste of admin time.

2 Likes

I’m not the most sporty person at least when it comes to team sports.

But I completely agree that sports has its place. And I actually rather enjoy sports nights on Sqn. So do the Cadets.

Compulsory Wing things? Not so much.

2 Likes

Normal parade evening when advertised we get 27+ cadet numbers, When sports are advertised that drops quite easily to the 17 ‘barely’ number.
I’m all for encouraging cadets to try activities but sports is not something many of our cadets want to be doing. Quite a few of the sporty cadets are often encouraged to enter other sports at inter sqn events that even they know they won’t do well in and I have seen their faces because they failed to qualify etc.

I’ve brought this up to other staff and the OC only to be told it’s all about the points at the end of the day.

In schools you have sports day where everyone has to do at least one event, even if their bad at everything. Which is sort of what the ATC is doing. So it’s more of a teamwork thing and a, helping the sqn win than a, we decided you have to do sports cos why not

Two Genuine Questions:

1. What does the ACF and SSC do along the same lines?

2. What about a single day sports “day” where squadrons can still compete but on a smaller scale. Have things like tug-of-war, couple of running races, 5-a-side etc

Just watch the new ACC video.

Hmmm that sounds a little too risky :grimacing:

Physical Training tests were a part of ATC training in the first years of its existence, in order that cadets would be physically fit for the demands of service life, and were similar to those in the Blue Badge Pre-DoE Physical Ability programme. When I run that programme, I also give them a lesson on the principles of physical training, emphasising that doing some form of physical activity is an essential part of every day of your life, if one wants to avoid ill health in later years. The cadets therefore can’t say that they weren’t warned, at least…
“Mens Sana in Corpore Sano.” :thinking: