Ironing and creases

True. Might be quicker than me trying to fix them.

At the Swinderby holiday camp, we were taught if tramlines were created turn the trousers inside out soak the material then iron the line of creases flat. Turn them right way out, then with a damp ironing cloth establish the new (and only) crease in correct position.

1 Like

I had a brand new pair out the packet from stores and the crease was glued… in the wrong place.

I swapped them out.

I find it interesting all the dampening of everything? I’ve never done that. For shirts I just steam the creases in using the right temperature on the iron, like any other shirt. They always come out nice and sharp.

For trousers I turn the iron on full, and use a dry tea-towel on top and lots of steam - saves the trousers going shiny and gets a sharp crease but without the spraying of water etc first.

1 Like

As a cadet I normally ironed my trousers strait from the washing machine! Good spin cycle so they don’t come out dripping mind.

I also occasionally turned them inside out and rubbed a non-scented candle stick along the crease line before ironing. This made for awesome trouser creases that stayed in place well.

2 Likes

Literally the same as what I did.

2 Likes

It’s when cadets try stuff like this we end up trading their trashed pair of trousers for another set in our stores. It really can’t make that much difference than just keeping your uniform in good condition and regularly ironing it sensibly!

Swapping out not an option, to get a pair in my size (note not a pair that fit, just a pair that was in the size I requested) meant the gash bin.

I’m still rocking a used jumper too but so far no one has mentioned it.

I know that’s the end of it…

But it keeps creases in very very well. And the fetishism around sharp creases when you’re a cadet is weird.

Massive change from me now. Lucky if I have a belt or LW jacket under my smock when I wear greens.

To be fair you don’t need a belt as the MTP trousers are adjustable, and I don’t even think our dress regs specify a type of belt (the ACF’s do and it’s worn outside the smock of course!)

Nope. Rege specify both jacket and belt.

belt but not what type of belt…

I use lowest setting that steams, over a tea towel, lots of steam, but then turn the steam off to dry the trouser back out again.

Same for shirts without the cloth.

For trousers that don’t have a well set crease I spray them until damp first and do the same thing.