IBN CFC Promotions

Not entirely sure if this would work, but if it could there are benefits, especially if the new CO was completely new to the squadron. Get to know the faces etc and if an existing member of staff maybe just to ease them in.

When I was offered my first command the old CO had already gone, but I insisted on meeting the CWC on a non parade night and then met the staff in a pub (I only knew one of the CIs) on another night to find out who did what etc, then took over officially the following parade night, which was just a chat with the cadets. I wasn’t keen on just going along and saying ‘here I am’.

There was a hand-over with the old OC, but it wasn’t nearly a year! Had a good few months to bed-in though.

They do from now on.
Pulling on a uniform is no longer that special.
The CoC restriction is just to appease idiots and people who can’t see beyond the end their noses and just need the uniform / badge as identify a target. As I say putting on a uniform on does not instantly imbue people with special powers that makes them better for a command / exec role than anyone else.

That’s not exactly correct though is it, we are all civilians in uniform now that’s true. But we still have a rank structure and CI’s don’t fall within it.

1 Like

I think that’s splitting hairs in the brave new world. But unfortunately will persist.

I don’t think it’s splitting hairs at all, the change in the status of the Commission doesn’t change the way the organisation works. We already had civilians in uniform in the shape of SNCO’s and CI’s couldn’t be WWO, just because our Officers are now the same doesn’t mean you can suddenly have a CI Wing Commmder.

No reason why you can’t we could have exc officer posts not a wing commander post as for CI title needs looked at as Officers are now no more than that

Just waiting to be dropped down a rank, or two. Brace brace brace!

Rename than NUI for Non-Uniform Instructor

1 Like

But issue them corporate wear, and insist that it’s worn to events…

Our Wing Conf is coming up, must wear corporate wear and no jeans.

I wear jeans to work everyday and get the job done…

Two points here. Firstly, this is a bit like telling someone “We recognize your ability to manage this store, so please take on the role. However, we are still going to call you a shelf-stacker and pay you as one*. You don’t have a problem with that do you?”

(*Pay isn’t really the issue here, but I kept it there for the analogy. In my opinion, the pay should be for the role, not just for the rank.)

Secondly, whereas I appreciate this is to stop inexperienced people ending up in a role they cannot handle, there’s a whole world of difference between a fresh-faced 21- or 22-year old newly commissioned officer and a 40+ year-old experienced manager. The old system allowed the Wing Commander to make a judgement call on whether someone could accept the role, and recognize that appropriately. This new one doesn’t.

Should be Acting Flight Lieutenant for an OC with <4 years’ service. Confirmed with the substantive rank once the matrix has been met. Easy to reverse when it doesn’t work, but the staff “on the ground” at Wing/Sector should be able to make a sensible decision on people.

I look forward to the revised senior officer promotion criteria too.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

PMSL you expecting one Jobs for the Boys come to mind

I meant sqn ldr and Wing Commander.

We’re just so awesome we don’t need a promotion criteria…

1 Like

Might bring costs down to use CIs… :wink:

Nah. They’ll just do as they are now and promote those into jobs who are crap Sqn Cdrs

Admittedly some are. Some, however, have been promoted via a complex risk based methodology - “where can this person do the least amount damage?”

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Very true though!