IBN CFC Promotions

So… does that mean all Flt Lt’s are paid (sorry renumerated at the same level) or will you have (old) time served Flt Lts who are laid as Fg Off, and new Flt Lts who are paid more.

Or are well really just all F’d O?

My head hurts I think I’m going to have a beer.

You have that now. Time served Flt Lts are paid as Fg Offs and ones in Flt Lt posts aren’t… .

[quote=“pEp, post:11, topic:3663”]
You have that now.[/quote]

What Beer?

Or difference in pay! Gotcha. Indeed, but will it be different in this brave new world we’re entering…?

Be awesome if CI’s weren’t having to take command.

Lack of uniformed staff - heading towards closing down squadrons I think!

Reduced strategic footprint via the backdoor!!

That’s being discussed here (Strategic Footprint)

1 Like

Yep, there and the remuneration discussion and the VR(T) change - anyone would think they’re all linked…

1 Like

And those already commissioned for less than 4 years and in command?

Don’t worry, I’m affected by this too, but there’s not a lot I can do about it.

Sorry to tell you but this is nothing new…
It’s confirming the regulations.

It was always 4 years between getting commissioned and getting Flt Lt

Where it went wrong was that some regions/wings kept to the rules but others promoted to acting Flt Lt right away and they then waited until the 4 year period was up before being paid at Flt Lt rank

[quote=“big_g, post:19, topic:3663, full:true”]Sorry to tell you but this is nothing new…
It’s confirming the regulations.

It was always 4 years between getting commissioned and getting Flt Lt

Where it went wrong was that some regions/wings kept to the rules but others promoted to acting Flt Lt right away and they then waited until the 4 year period was up before being paid at Flt Lt rank[/quote]
So how do you account for 22 and 23 year olds put in as OC and then getting Flt Lt (paid) after 5 days at ATF?

I guess failure to follow the word of the rules is not limited to squadrons

2 Likes

The only way to do it is put in strict time served requirements, ie two ‘tours’ as adult staff.
If this presents problems then it should mean a proper look at recruitment / retention, as that is the only reason we end up with young / inexperienced people in charge, who find themselves out of their depth / unprepared.

The actual training you get as well is pitifully lacking. From my own experience and speaking to others the OSC doesn’t prepare people for all the different expectations that taking a command bring. If you have prior knowledge / experience before going it can fill some gaps, but doesn’t prepare you for the sort of problems you can find with staff, cadets, parents and committee, which can be time consuming and mentally draining that suck the enthusiasm from your marrow. You only get this sort of experience / knowledge by being involved at a more junior level. One particular area that has increased over my period of command is safeguarding and is totally unsupported. I’ve raised this with the Wing CPO and the response is don’t know, so now I don’t bother and seek advice from people I know with day to day experience to get advice. But they have told me, unless we have the systems in place to share and request information with say schools, we can do nothing, except just be concerned with internal matters.

1 Like

Teflon,
I saw it and witnessed it myself a newbie goes to cranwell, does IOC then their SCC back to back and they leave after 2 weeks a Flt Lt.
I questioned this 7 years ago when I was appointed to Sqn OC but was a Fg Off, the then Wing Co challenged the RC who then sent a copy of the paperwork and it was clearly marked as the IBN
4 years before being promoted to Flt Lt and it still annoys me to this day that we have 1 clear rule but numerous ways of implementing it :frowning:

For more on this one, see my NEP post (more circular references!)

Ummm… How does that work with our squadron with NO uniformed staff on strength, will we have to wait for four years after someone gets commissioned before we have an OC? What will the new officer do for the next four years - watch how the CIs have been doing it and learn from them?

Inevitably, the longest served CIs will not want a commission (well, I don’t anyway, even if I wasn’t too old)

Makes sense… but if it worked that way there’d be no OCs at all!

There is nothing stopping a newly commissioned officer taking an established post, they just won’t be promoted unless they meet the time & matrix requirements…

Guys, I was being sarcastic…

Looking at the matrix group C for promotion to Flt Lt, sqn cdr is not there. So if you take command of a sqn then you will never be promoted to Flt Lt.