How tech damaged the ATC (& how do we move forward positively)

I don’t think it is a dirty word, just that it is hassle & not something they care about. Not everyone has the interest in history & it just leads to apathy.

Also records from the early days are often not kept or are chaotic so it can be hard to work through. I suspect a lot of the early paperwork was either thrown away, destroyed in the war or is sitting in an archives cellar at Kew going mouldy.

1 Like

Trialled at Leeming as well.

2 Likes

That’s until you reach a major anniversary and old records become ‘a thing’, then it becomes a scramble.

1 Like

Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Over on another thread, people are listing all the activities that have been lost in the space of one generation of cadets.

It seems a real shame that very little of the lost opportunities were replaced by tech. It was supposed to be the future after all!

How long before road marching is done in a gym on a machine?

1 Like

So in the race to be tech savvy and an ultra-modern all-inclusive organisation, we have dropped the ball.
Someone in RAFAC HQ has made assumptions that are totally incorrect I.e. all cadets have smart phones or all cadets have ready access to the internet. Many of our cadets do not have smart phones or are allowed unfettered use the Internet.
We need an alternative if we want to preserve the appearance of inclusiveness, even if this means partially reverting to legacy systems. Squadrons cannot be expected to supply computers and smart phones, even if parents allowed it

3 Likes

Ive never seen anything from HQAC that says that…the survey that was carried out that the majority had access…we are never going to be able to account for everyone but should set operations for the majority.

There have been public suggestions from both CRAFAC and other HQ staff that squadrons should buy phones for cadets for precisely this purpose.

What exactly do you think they’re missing out on?

I think the suggestion was that the squadron buy a phone that can be used by the cadet when they need to visit a station or a range etc and need to app. Then it gets signed out to the next cadet who needs it.

1 Like

tell you what, give me your squadron number and I’ll pop down, because I really want to see this mythical squadron where the majority of cadets don’t have smart phones you talk of. The only majority at my squadron is the number of cadets who have a BETTER smart phone than me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Again, there is a specific MyRAFAC App thread for discussing the specifics.

6 Likes

Not all Squadrons are located in affluent areas with parents with lots of disposable income.

You’d be surprised how poor some families really are. Just getting their child to and from Squadron can be a big financial burden.

6 Likes

Yeah - appreciate that, I’ve run squadrons in some of the most deprived areas. Doesn’t mean they don’t have phones.

“But we’ve always done it that way”

3 Likes

Decisions such like that should not be set only because the majority „has a smartphone”. Is everyone expected to hold a smartphone these days?

What if the cadets family doesn’t even have enough money to buy gadgets like these? I didn’t even have my own smartphone until I was 14 I used an analogue phone before.

I don’t think thats very inclusive of our organisation to do such an act. I always disliked that style of going for the majority, it lefts out and isolates these people who may not fit into the stereotype.

I also believe the cadets should be a break for young people, where they can detox themselves from constant screens and technology.

2 Likes

Closed because the thread has become a re-run of the existing MyRAFAC thread, despite reminders and requests.

If time is found to move posts then it may get reopened.

4 Likes