Hexi Blocks / Burners

I still remember my Latin A level teacher telling us his favourite poem:
Latin is a language, as dead as dead can be. It killed the Romans, and now it’s killing me"

There was genuinely a joke made in Latin in court the other day between the judge and defence barrister, (both of an older generation.)

I had no clue what was going on.

Complex I’d say:

Your water heating system will be designed for efficiency (whilst the kettle is designed for speed), so the heating of the initial stage will be done more efficiently via the water heater than kettle. Your water heater will likely be much larger (so a better volume:surface area ratio) and almost certainly far better insulated.

However, most systems will need to be “run through” quite significantly before hot water actually appears, and this will make it very inefficient for small quantities (such as you’d use in a kettle) - in effect, you’re filling the kettle with water no warmer than you get from the cold tap, whilst also wasting filling the pipes further upstream with hot water which then just cools in the pipes without helping anyway.

So… I’d say fill from the hot tap only if it’s already running hot for some other reason, otherwise fill from the cold. HTH.

Er - was there a topic around here somewhere?

3 Likes

Oh, yeah! we answered that a loooong time ago.

We should probably close this down…