Haircut?

In our environment, isn’t the CO essentially the Regional Commandant? Lesser persons are simply OCs?

I had a Commanding Officer when I was a cadet. The door sign announced ‘Commanding Officer’

Not sure when it changed.

How does it work in the real RAF?

A ‘commanding officer’ will generally be a Gp Capt.

Some formations might have a lower-ranking officer with some of the powers of a CO - these are called ‘officers commanding’. As Plt Off-Sqn Ldr rank, ATC Sqn Cdrs will fall in to the latter category (and thus the sign on your old OC’s door was incorrect!)

Commanding Officer, Squadron Commander AND Officer Commanding. And that’s on our own website!

(I’m talking 1978)

I didn’t say it wasn’t a common mistake!

But basically a CO is in charge of a major unit - ie an RAF station, a regiment or a ship. If you’re in charge on a fairly independent basis and it’s something smaller, then you’re an OC - a convention that’s a lot older than the 70’s!

1 Like

I’m preparation for tonight’s parade, I have just visited the barber.

Thanks for all the info today.

1 Like

IMHO as the wording in the AP isn’t capitalised I assume it refers to the commanding officer of the airman. Normally his squadron OC. But, of course, it could mean either or both!

Normally if this arises, I’ve seen it once, the decision was made by the sqn oc with support from the stn cdr.

In this particular case, if it’s not too much bother then a slight hair cut would be the right answer. If that would cause serious repurcussions then an alternative decision could be made.

I wouldn’t lose too much sleep over it as long as the cadet looks smart and uniform.

Cheers

Does it actually say ‘length OFF cut’ ?

Someone needs to get a life.How pathetic instead of just answering the question.

Surely ‘well cut’ is a matter of opinion? Do we mean well as in good or well as in thoroughly?

No that’s my dodgy typing!

I had a chat with the lad tonight. I explained what I was trying to sort out and he understood. The braiding is a mixture of braids and mini dreadlocks. His mother’s design. Its partly to cover a scar on the back of his head.

It was difficult asking him whether he would change his hair style for the Corps. He is just about to be enrolled, so hasn’t done any if the ‘good stuff’ yet. He said maybe. But he wasn’t convinced.

Again, I explained what I was doing and he consented to a photo of the area in question to aid our decision making.

Where is the problem. That looks OK to me.

4 Likes

For once I agree with Teflon 100%

Looks fine to me too.

It is exactly what I imagined. If I were asked whether the style was accurately described by the regulations stated above I would be forced to conclude “no”.

I would be fine with said haircut, it is neat and kept in place off the of the collar. Job jobbed.

1 Like