Gliding "paused"

In much the same way that if I went to an outdoor centre and one of their instructors injured my cadets, the commandant wouldn’t be in court the provider would. Or am I thinking too logically?

1 Like

Or go with it and accept that fewer cadets will fly/glide?

1 Like

Best thing to do would be to ask Cmdt 2FTS…!

Yeah, because I fancy an unmarked car turning up at my house and a hats on, no biscuits chat…

1 Like

Hell understand…:wink:

It no different (or shouldn’t be) to us outsourcing AT, if you have an AALA licence we just do an AT application and Roberts your mothers brother.

If your a BGA site, we do an application to the Wing Aviation Officer, copy of the relevant Insurance and our Risk Assessment for getting them there, job done. (Or at least it should be)

2 Likes

[quote=“daws1159, post:1552, topic:1152, full:true”]It no different (or shouldn’t be) to us outsourcing AT, if you have an AALA licence we just do an AT application and Roberts your mothers brother.
If your a BGA site, we do an application to the Wing Aviation Officer, copy of the relevant Insurance and our Risk Assessment for getting them there, job done. (Or at least it should be)[/quote]
You would hope the insurance and RA would be done centrally for a BGA site that was used by many squadrons.

Shhhh!! Don’t make it sound so easy! They’ll “pause” it - then 3 years later, reintroduce it - but only in limited locations, at great expense and inconvenience - unless we want to use a VR AT simulator where you stand in an empty room wearing a rucksack and goggles and look at pretty views. VRAT will be available in limited numbers and only run by former NGB instructors who quals lapsed during the AT drought of 2018-2021. There will, however, be a new purpose built centre which cadets can’t use, but which will administer stuff and declare oversight due to Total Safety.

6 Likes

This was 95% set up for a BGA site near us until the “freeze” on ACTO35 came into effect. Message inbound to 2FTS…

1 Like

This has nothing whatsoever to do with risk, it is all about protecting empires, which is only denying young people opportunities.

If AEF and AEG were outsourced, what would be the impact on 2 and 6 FTS? If it means not needing as many people, how does that ripple up and sideways in 22 Gp? These are factors that have I am certain meant going along with a system that is broken.

1 Like

So what have you seen in the last ten years that’s been outsourced and meant more opportunities? Anything?
If it is totally outsourced we’ll be worse off than we are now…
Let’s just accept that what we have now isn’t as good as it used to be (what is?) and fight to protect what’s left of the good stuff. Who’s really convinced the alternative is better?

Oh, and by the way, Air cadet gliding was broken by outsourcing its engineering…That worked well didn’t it?

So where has keeping it in-house delivered? Over 10 years in the Corps maybe you can show graphs with overall national figures, but drill down into Wings and it’s not so pretty.
Rather than having people with a raft of AT activity qualifications, which they paid for, we now tend to go to centres. The cadets get much more opportunities. It may cost, but it is less staff intensive and parents are happy to pay and the CWC support as well. Not exactly outsourcing perhaps, but it cadets can get to do more.

No what broke it was lack of oversight. How much of the RAFs engineering and maintenance function is outsourced? Is that causing problems? As far as I can make out catering is outsourced and is that a problem.

The bean counters and some head sheds (probably now with more braid and gongs than you can shake a stick at) saw it as a win and then forgot to ensure it was checked. If they had I am pretty certain we wouldn’t be where we are now.

Ahhh.

No, because they are audited and their instructors subjected to “Standardisation” by Central Flying School and CFS Exam Wing (although I imagine not quite to exact service instructional standards because they are doing a different job in producing a different “product”).

1 Like

The fact is, once those decisions are made, there’s no going back. The decision is sometimes the first weak link, the first domino to wobble or first hole in the Swiss cheese. How it’s managed after that is important, but who would be managing an outsourced contract? Would it be done any better than it has in the past? I’ll let you come to your own conclusion on that?

Err the people who managed it before and the people paying the bills to ensure that what they get is in expectation of the contract. There are enough people out there whose job is wandering around with clipboards doing due diligence. I’m sure that you could have a raft of people overseen by a Group Captain doing that. :wink:

Who oversees the RAF’s outsourced (and if I’m correct the gliders are/were on the RAF inventory) engineering / maintenance contracts? Don’t tell me no one, as that would be a question for The House.

So are you suggesting that HQAC would oversee an outsourced Flying/gliding contract???

Don’t be daft, tbh I wouldn’t let them oversee a national youth organisation.

The engineering contract should be overseen by those considered experts in that field.

The only thing HQAC seems expert in is social media.

I imagine a BGA club would treat them like any other member. Most BGA clubs have schemes for young pilots, which they can use all the way to solo & beyond until they become too old. The age range for these varies by club.