Funding the RAFAC

i think the hut leasing thing is an idea missed. Three nights a week and weekends all dead time. We’ve hired a local scout hut for sleep overs given the BS around cadets sleeping and cooking in huts. Cost £20. We’ve done things in the squadron hut and then walked a couple of hundred yards to the Scout hut.
I’ve been asked by a few groups over the years about using the hut and passed them RFCAs details and heard no more.

1 Like

The Army Reserve actually hire their centres for functions.
, what is the problem they come under RFCA.

The army reserves don’t really hire out the halls it controlled by RFCA.

As it stands All monies raised by RFCA is used by them as they see fit. So you can’t guarantee the money goes back to the ATC

Note: Some Reserve units may let you use their halls and facilities at a local level but there needs to be a local understanding on that.

What happeneds if you as a sqn actually own your hall?

The single biggest advantage and at the same time mill stone is MOD money being used for Air and Army cadets.
Advantage that we are able to be as cheap as chips, yet this doesn’t seem to bring kids in their hordes as parents take advantage of it.
Mill stone as it stops some real looking into imaginative ways to fund things and HQAC especially never look beyond the end of their noses, in case IMO it upsets their pay masters.

I can’t see why if ATC huts were hired it couldn’t be ring-fenced.

Those would be few and far between and shouldn’t be a problem. But in that situation I would set things up in such a way that it is leased back to RFCA and get some money into the squadron. While sitting on asset, you could partially remortgage and use the lease money to pay the mortgage.

I can’t confirm the exact details on that
But I do know of one unit where they were gifted the building and RFCA is required to maintain and they hire out parts and they keep the money

1 Like

Apart from a few historical cases, RFCA and HQ-ATC go to great lengths to avoid this. Although I know of one case where a school has done a deal to use the hut weekdays (of course money to RFCA).

The cost of subs is set by the CivCom of each squadron so local situations can be accommodated. As for spending on central admin projects, I personally don’t think it is financially driven. There are other factors which come higher up, like agendas, attitudes and lack of transparency

Very sensible, but HQ-ATC will never let it happen.