Formality on Sqn

Special educational needs and disability

2 Likes

You may also hear of cadets having an EHCP - Education, Health and Care Plan - if their needs are quite pronounced. However, SEN/SEND can cover anything from very mild autism through to severe neurological disorders. These conditions may present individually, but often present with comordities that are either neurological or physical.

2 Likes

Thanks, both. I was completely unaware of that terminology.

It’s not a perfect document, but check out ACP 29.

1 Like

I think it’s more cadets and certain schools than military, although that could be skewed by my own experience of the military (mostly recce / STA type units, RAF, Strategic Command, etc.)

ATC units I’ve visited have been very formal - far more so than the actual RAF. I turned up once to do a quick WHT on a staff member at our local squadron (so he didn’t go out of date) and the arrival of a Wg Cdr caused total panic.

But as others have said, schools vary, so do CCFs.

2 Likes

Most ATC units probably don’t get a Wing Commander visit more than once a year.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes: try never!

No Annual Formal Inspection?

It’s the only time we see a Wg Cdr.

No, Wg Cdr leaves that down to the Wing team who essentially sit in the office doing a tick box exercise!

1 Like

In most Wings the Sector Commanders do those and the Wing Commander will do maybe 1 or 2 per Sector.

That’s all an AFI is.

Though, I’ve only had 2 in 6 years.

I ln reply to @Adminvortex - A very good and well-presented question.

The level of formality is usually situational; for any routine interaction one would always start at the highest level of formality.
Entering an office or classroom, conducting a briefing, being on parade all require the default, highest level formality (correct modes of address, compliments paid etc.)
For these activities ‘full formaility’ should be exercised and observed by all and not dropped by either party. This is down to self disciplne of those taking part.
For interactions that require fewer barriers to communication, question asking, developing ideas and understanding, a lesser degree of formality is required, and that tone is always set by the senior rank in the exchange. This can be indicated by a simple phrase like ‘berets off’ or ‘relax’.
As long as you are consistent in this approach and you cadets know what is expected of them in any given exchange then you should see few issues.
Any breaches are more likely to be a teaining issue rather than disciplinary - at least in the first instance - and so should be dealt with as discretely as the circumstances allow.
Hope this is of some help. Others of course may feel differently.

2 Likes

I am an old fashioned one in the current world. For me there is a clear divide between Staff, Cadet NCOs and Cadets. I will pick them up if not addressing by rank or title Sir/Ma’am etc. However when teaching or addressing the Squadron half of the newer cadets I don’t know by name so tend to be addressed as Cadet with your hand up etc. Room tion and the like for any officer is on our Squadron but that is in place by the OC.