Flight tags

I always find this a funny argument that comes aroun periodically and always wonder why we haven’t just created our own system and put in our own dress code? We can become uniform within the organisation instead of all these daft home grown things that the stick wavers lose sleep over?

There is clearly a need for them and if only worn on unit the wider world won’t see them much.

5 Likes

The answer is clearly Velcro on Blues (maybe this needs to merge with the uniform update thread?)

What do you mean by Velcro?

Literally, Velcro (or hook & loop) then the flight tags could be removed when off Sqn.

Where would they attach?

I’m trying to think how it works on US/Can/Aus shirts but sleeves seems logical (though wouldn’t work with our brassards).

FWIW Scouts have patrol flashes and they are actually pretty useful!

1 Like

Scout patrol flashes go on the sleeve, which would be equivalent to our cadets having it on their brassards. In the parent service, unit identification flashes are limited to combat and flying clothing.

Now there’s an idea.

An entire blanking plate in your preferred colour…

With patterns for accessibility.

1 Like

Squadron TRF’s with a coloured flight badge underneath in the style of the EAW tabs.

3 Likes

Why is ACP1358 not just a short document detailing the differences with AP1358? Or would that just be a drafting nightmare?

As a part of the RAF family shouldn’t our Regs be in AP1358 as an annex.

1 Like

That would mean going through their change procedures. Part of why it was moved to be an ACP.

1 Like

I’ve sometimes wondered why with the change to MTP that they didn’t introduce a sqn no. badge in that style. or even stuff like Shooting qualification level for non JL cadets on the left plate

I’ve seen CCF(RAF) cadets using the right plate like a brassard.

Saw an army cadet with a full plate.

Less is definitely more.

2 Likes

Which makes sense as this is what the acf do so Likly to be some cross over.

1 Like

Saw a promotion post on FB today, with both NCOs with flight tags…

They are useful in recruit training establishments where you’ve got a couple of hundred recruits going through, spread over several courses… In the average RAFAC Sqn they are utterly unnecessary and clearly not permitted. I’ve never understood why local units feel the need to introduce random nonsense.
Like… From where have you pulled this hair brained idea!? and for what possible purpose!?

Back when I was a Wg WO and I was supposed to care about this s/// my response would have been…

“But I need them on my Sqn to tell which cadet is in which flight!”.
Fella… Your “flights” are 10-12 cadets, and you’ve got two of them… If you can’t learn the people in your ‘section’ without coloured tabs, then we’ve got bigger problems…

3 Likes

Replace “flight tab” with “unofficial squadron crest” and I think some people suddenly show they’re not that against unofficial/illegal visual identity building (and strongly appreciate its value), but one of them is a minor bit of fabric on a uniform covered in minor bits of fabric, the other is the squadron’s official, public-facing badge of identity and it hasn’t gone through the formal process (and are almost always very very incorrect).

I’m not sure why, but one of your cadets was on my barracks in a grow bag a couple of weeks ago sporting a VGS patch that had a crown (not the astral form) on it. It’s been a while, but I’m sure that is very much not allowed. Do it right, or not at all. These things are important.

If you hate them both equally, fair enough, but if you’re not bothered as an organisation about controlling the latter, the former hardly feels like an issue.

They swapped over a while ago, as part of 2FTS I would think they are approved. I don’t know when they changed though.