Flight Sims, help or advice needed please

@WestlandScout what gpu have you got as a reference for the psu?

Permissions applied :grin:

Thought I try for Ā£3K budget. I appreciate this is out of the range of a lot of squadrons, but will certainly do the job and then some:

Horizon 5 AMD RTX 3080 Gaming PC @ CCL computers - Ā£1744
Warthog HOTAS controls @ Amazon - Ā£402
Flight Pedals @ Logitech - Ā£140
Meta Quest 2 VR headset @ Currys ā€“ Ā£399
Samsung 4K 32" monitor @ Amazon - Ā£299

Total Ā£2984

You might need some extras such as a long USB3 cable if your wifi isnā€™t up to driving the Quest 2 wirelessly, and a keyboard and mouse, but even without building any fancy cabinet, that is going to do a very good job of on-screen and VR flight. I know, as thatā€™s basically my build and I drive 3 widescreen monitors with a 3080 at 45 to 60fps in MS Flight Simulator (I donā€™t use AMD, but my i7 is 6 years old).

Note if you arenā€™t bothered about using the PC for anything ā€œPC likeā€, a cheap 50" LCD TV will give a much more immersive picture for sim flying than a smaller monitor.

A spare GT1030 with the faster RAM

What were you thinking of running for reference?

Actually, it probably can on low graphics

X-plane 11 for now.

1 Like

@WestlandScout Is it OK if I do it tomorrow morning?

1 Like

No urgency

Just playing about with a few ideas. From a Squadron angle we have a few PCs that are not upgradable to Win 11 (which weā€™ll have to move to at some point) which Iā€™d like to be able to run some form of sim on. So I might treat this build as a prototype as it were

1 Like

@WestlandScout done and uploaded, total Ā£322.70

Thank you, now just need to convince OC Home Command to let me have the extra Ā£20