Fitness Chat (Personal Development)

Took some measurements today;

1. Back under 100kg
  2. Blood pressure back in normal range
  3. 7-day resting heart rate of 53

kronk-emperors-new-groove

5 Likes

My 5k treadmill PB is 25:22 but that was with an incline of 3. 5k PB on the road (Cranwell Ave) is 24:44. Not really a lover of road running as it doesnā€™t really give a constant amount of effort for my liking (up and down) hence why I prefer the treadmill.

Letā€™s just say Iā€™m not in the under 45 year old bracket!!

2 Likes

Like anything else, finishing times are just another metric. The actual number doesnā€™t matter as much as the overall trend.

However, we are going to disagree on the use of dreadtreadmills. I only run my parkrun on tarmac in any given week, with about 80% of all my other runs being on the bridlepaths and footpaths by my house, but Iā€™ll take pavements over treadmills any day of the week.

My London Marathon training last time round was during Beast From The East and, just once, it was too snowy to get out on the roads. So I spent 2 hours on a treadmill before I was just mentally done. The plan was for 4 hours that day.

2 Likes

Itā€™s very much an ā€˜each to their ownā€™. My wife is very much a road runner and runs about 10 miles a day along the canal near us, but she absolutely hates the treadmill and says itā€™s a drain on her mental state and boring.

For me, I just zone out (not difficult) and get on with it. Plus I can run until Iā€™ve had enough, press stop and get off rather than having to get the bus home :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

100% agree on treadmills. Canā€™t stand them

1 Like

Road running is the business

2 Likes

Agreed.

Absolutely despise any form of running.

Iā€™ll stick to my heavy circles thanks. :rofl:

Parkrun this morning was weird.

Iā€™m following a training plan for a half in September and it has Saturdays as 30 minute easy runs. So Iā€™ve stepped right back off the pace.

Going around the laps at that slower speed really gives a different perspective of the event. Especially when itā€™s tipping it down as it was this morning.

2 Likes

I hate running for runningā€™s sake. Now put me on a lacrosse pitch and Iā€™m happy running round. I know itā€™s all psychological

Agreed.

To quote Willy Wonka:

ā€œIf the good lord had intented us to walk, he wouldnā€™t have invented roller skatesā€

Or in my case, motorbikes. Which I will neither confirm or deny speeds due to the presence of those law enforcement types.

2 Likes

Surely its just a perception of going fast when down hill and with following wind.

Isnā€™t Lacrosse like Shinty just legalised violence??

2 Likes

You mean 0 to the Magistrates Court in under 5 seconds.

Only if youā€™re caughtā€¦

2 Likes

If you ever get into the Gaelic sports, both Hurling and Gaelic Football are definitely just legalised fighting.

Still reckon we should introduce Hurling to the Corps thoughā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen cadets take part in Hurling after aerobatics on an AEF

1 Like

Urgh.

Just went out to do the long run on my half-marathon training plan. Itā€™s not even meant to be that long; just 13km.

My heart rate went straight up into Z3 as soon as I started and kept climbing from there. By 7.5km, it was sitting at 185 bpm (well within my Z5) and stubbornly not dropping regardless of how much I dropped the pace. So I called it a day at 10km.

What worries me is a HR that stays high can be a sign of incoming illness. My mother tested positive for Covid when I visited her on Thursday. Iā€™m yet to have it at all. It might be the (half) maranoia, but Iā€™m concerned I might be about to pop my Covid cherry.

Bloody hell, that doesnā€™t sound funā€¦ Not sure mine has ever gone that high :rofl:

I have a strong sprint finish, and have registered a speed on a parkrun finish of over 22mph - when Iā€™m able to get into the zone to do that, it feels indescribably incredible; itā€™s as if Iā€™m floating over the tarmac. However, my HR on that sprint came in at a peak of 206 bpmā€¦

However, on this run Iā€™d have expected to see a peak around 165 given the pace. So no, no fun at all!

I will admit to there being a special kind of rush during a sprint at the end of a distance run.

Itā€™s been a while, but I definitely remember enjoying that.