Fire precautions, who inspects a Squadron building?

The local FB do local buildings so they know what to expect IF they get a call, do RFCA/DFRMO supply local FB with the FSPs?

I think the assessments are too generous, especially if based on an total empty square footage, you can’t include kitchens, toilets, stores and cupboards and then another reduction for furniture. Off the top of my head I think we lose at least half the hut to toilets, kitchen, stores, offices and a corridor, put some furniture into the mix and it’s probably getting on for two-thirds.

The village hall we hire the main hall is probably 2½ times the size of a cadet hut, if you include kitchen, entrance lobby, stores, toilets etc it is probably 3½ times the size of a hut and is licensed (as per the hiring agreement) for as I said 91. Mind you tables and chairs anymore than 80 is an “excuse me”. When we got married the maximum sitting down was 106 and standing was 150 and that was a hall attached to a social club, easily 4 times the size and twice the height of a cadet hut. But the bits you use are effectively big rooms and not including the additional parts of a cadet hut.

We had a letter from the local FB last year asking to do an inspection, to cut a long story short DFRMO wrote to them saying it was under their juristiction being a MOD property and they said fair enough and updated their records and walked away… so they must be happy with the way it works and don’t seem to be at all bothered with the FRAs and inspections that are carried out, even though they where the crews that attended when we did have a fire.

The local FB didn’t however do the incident report and the recommendations DFRMO did that after the fire and sent it to the relevant parties inc the local FB

Trumpton like to look at big complicated buildings so that they have an idea what to expect. They won’t worry about ATC premises as they are pretty simple and will be happy for someone else to do the admin. If the buildings were complicated, as the responders I suspect based on conversations with my local FRU they would want a look.

1 Like

There have been fires in tower blocks since and none of the hysteria attracted by the fire last June.
The main theme after the one last June was the financial disparity between parts of Kensington and how somehow it was those in the better off end, should sacrifice things purely because they were wealthy and that it wouldn’t have happened or been allowed to happen had the fire been in the southern part.
Then we have been allowed to descend into the “who’s to blame” as per what is going on currently. Things happen which is part of life and looking for someone to blame, means that people fail to get on with their lives properly. With something like the current witch hunt, if the result isn’t as those pursuing it would like, they will carry on until they get the answer they do.
The one thing that things like this highlight is don’t join the emergency services as if things don’t go as they should, what you do, did or didn’t do will be scrutinised to the death.

Most of us are here to provide life changing experiences to children and young people. Not one of us joined to manage a building that someone is already paid to manage.

5 Likes

And whilst we’ve always been volunteers, those amongst us who held commissions put up with this because we valued the VR commission and the responsibility it came with. As we no longer have that, some of us are questioning some of the things we’re told we have to do - arguably we should never have done it as we’ve always been volunteers as you say, but we did. Now some people are kicking back against the (what seems like) relentless onslaught of bureaucracy (including some in paid positions within the organisation I have to say) and how full time paid members of the MOD should really consider the capacity, skill set and volition of volunteers to undertake certain things.

4 Likes

Why do people carry on with this, because of the young people who come along.

ATC fire safety in what is a essentially a big shed that is occupied for about 5 hours a week, is disproportionate to the actual risk. Does every single MOD facility expect to sound fire alarms and inspect fire extinguishers every month and if so who does it? Someone who is paid to do fire things or a volunteer from outside?
Where I work the fire extinguishers are checked annually at the same time as a fire drill, all conducted by the fire brigade. Our next fire drill will be at the end of Sep.

1 Like

Considering my wing has lost two long standing Sqn Cdrs in the last 6 weeks many are leaving. The reasons given are stress, lack of contact time witg the cadets and it isn’t fun any more.
A sqn OC is now a facilitates manager and not a youth worrker any more.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

When I worked in th eNHS the whole hopitals fire alarm system was checked every Wednesday morning from 9am and fire extingushers were checked weekly by the staff and by the fire officer at least six monthly. If one was used it was replaced that day.

Are / were those doing the checks trained?

I still think RFCA should come round and do the checks and not palm them off onto poor sods at squadrons with other priorities.

1 Like

Engineering department supervised the alarm testing with the fire officer plus staff each week checked that the fire extingushers were in date and daily things like fire exits were clear.

In our case, I think that we should certainly be looking to make sure exits are clear, there is no build up of flammable substances etc. Essentially, all of the suff which is under our direct control.

The other stuff is where I start to think someone who is employed by RFCA should take over, for two reasons:

1. I volunteered to run squadron, because I wanted to offer opportunities to the cadets and staff. I did not volunteer to become a “building manager”, which is what I am referred to on the Fire safety Management plan, and other H&S documents.

2. Fire Alarm checks, emergency lighting checks, and fire extinguishers serviceability checks should all be carried out by someone who is competent, and who has the ability to rectify any faults found.

I’ve reported faults before, and had them completely ignored - for example, my fire extinguishers went through a period of about 3 years without an annual service. Not only did I potentially have to rely on a bunch of useless extinguishers in an emergency, but I also lost marks for my H&S inspection, AFI, WSO inspections, and got ‘spoken to’ about the lack of compliance on a number of occasions.

1 Like

I don’t think many had fire extinguishers serviced as they couldn’t work out who was meant to be responsible for them.

I think too much is made of flammable substance build up as it needs something to initiate the ignition.

As I mentioned we are in the building for 5 hours a week which leaves lots and lots of time for people who get paid in the ATC / RFCA to come down and check things. Why can’t CAAs or WexOs be tasked with doing all the cadet huts once a month? Then if something needs doing they can get it sorted and not leave it to us to enter the realm of multiple emails going unanswered.

I do hope you gave your WSO’s the good news with both barrels? How the hell can they mark you down and ‘speak to you’ about something which is outside of your control?

I’m not wishing to sound like a keyboard warrior (but those on here who know me, know what I’m like) but if it was me in your position, the S/WSO’s would have had my foot up their bottoms and shown the door.

1 Like

Their answer was a shrug of their shoulders, and a reply of “Submit another works service order - there is always something you can do…”

That is typical of the attitude prevalent in our wing. It’s ALWAYS the OCs fault, even when it clearly wasn’t. Like the time I didn’t attend the Wing Training Day because I was at a wedding 250 miles away - I got told by an angry WSO that “Family comes first, obviously, but you really should have more commitment to your squadron…”. But that is a whinge for another day!

1 Like

Those attitudes aren’t necessarily just from your wing…

3 Likes

I’d go for the idea of telling the WSO where to shove it and that’s where the sun doesn’t shine.

1 Like