Fieldcraft Incident and the Death of a Cadet

Most AEDs I’ve seen seem to be a fixed installation. Is there a kit available thats designed to be kept in a minibus, moved from various camp offices on training areas, stored in the corner of a room… (you get the picture!)?

Yes there is one that runs off batteries and you plug it in to keep it charged.

St. John’s sell them

Portable AEDs have been around for quite a while - we have them in my “moving office.” The battery life is significant - on standby mode, it is 6 months or more. No separate charger needed. Last time I checked, the price ranged from £800 - £1200, depending on model & how many people to be trained.

They didn’t have one at Bisley (“remote location”) until just under 2 yrs ago - iI was involved in CPR on a shooter who collapsed. Three of us did this for 20 mins until the ambulance arrived. One shock from the defibrillator seemed to work - I spoke with the gentleman about 8 days later when he left hospital (needed a stent).

I would still suggest that there is such a negligible risk element associated with a heart attack from a cadet, that the cost/effort/trg would not be worth it. However, for some members of staff, maybe a good idea to have one handy! :wink:

Is knowles a medical practitioner? An AED reboots the heart in conjunction with CPR.

How would it of made it worst?

As they’ve been described to me a defib works by ‘correcting’ irregularities in heart beats/rhythms, one would assume from the report that these situations didn’t exist.

On the AEDs we have at work you put the pads on as shown, it then ‘diagnoses’ the heart’s ‘rhythms’ and if these are regular they won’t let you do anything. My understanding is, apply the electrical charge of a defib to a heart with regular rhythms and you do more harm than good.

100% this. Coroner seemed to ignore this fact though - as they usually do.

I agree about irregularities. Thus a AED will not “zap” a heathy heart or a “flat line”. As a First Responder I can see why coroner point of view.

Because the evidence at the Inquest indicated that as I heard it, plus the detailed pathology reports and it’s in the full narrative report.
The cadet had a congenital heart defect. The conclusion was that if the cadet had collapsed in AE the outcome would have been the same.
"Knowles"
It was a bit moist

What did shock me was the very low statistical chance of recovery using CPR alone which might indicate why the Coroner recommended them.

CPR I was always taught “never returns life, it just increases the chance someone with the right equipment can bring them back”. Defibs are just one bit of excellent kit in a large Arsenal of tricks, drugs and interventions. Where we will be in 30 years, who knows. Maybe auto injectors linked to defibs?