F60 end of year certificate - no tax?

Do we not anyway?
Leaving aside the MOD personal contribution on mileage for the moment, those of us in uniform receive remuneration, and CIs should not have any “lunch expenses” as they are free feeders.
Everyone can claim for authorised travel.

So if taking cadets to a function some distance away and they have a break to stretch their legs and a cup of tea, shouldn’t they not turn a receipt in for food and drink?

1 Like

Okay. Good example…

Include it on their 1771 “Claim for travel and subsistence” under “misc expenses”.

I do not want to demand these things either.

My problem is that HQAC treat CFAVs as employees when they want, regarding minimum hours, rank structure, HSE and security responsibilities and then pay us. But then say we are volunteers to avoid other financial implications and call the pay a voluntary allowance, which is then subject to tax and NI contributions, which makes it pay!!

There is too much prevarication being deployed by HQAC so that these contradictions can be presented as policy!

My worry is not around financial issues, more around our responsibilities under HSE and security legislation. If we are treated as employees in this area, we could expose ourselves to life changing consequences, such as prosecutions (which would cause me to lose my job), only to be told we are just volunteers!

1 Like

You must declare pay in your tax return as it is taxable. Allowances for meals etc which are reimbursements of expenditure are not taxable.

Glad to hear that P60s are routinely issued. Yonks ago only if pay exceeded £50pa was it reported by the RAF to HMRC, and receiving a letter from that august institution was a shock!

The major concern is that HMRC do not understand employment law and their own tax laws - you just have to look at the debacle of the Loan Charge retrospective tax and IR35. So what hope does HQAC ever have of correctly identifying us as volunteers or employees?