Ensign hoisting/lowering

Very good, unfortunately our old one has endured two lots of burst pipes (winter and frozen) in the room it is kept in at the HQ over the years so the fact it has held up as long as it has is pretty good. The newer one is still like new though.

Well, I’ve found the sunset reference - oddly it’s in ACTO002.

https://sharepoint.bader.mod.uk/QM/_layouts/15/WopiFrame2.aspx?sourcedoc=/QM/Controlled%20Documents/ACTO%20002.DOCX&action=default

It got dragged in there from its original location which was ACP20B ACAI208

1 Like

We tend to use a common sense approach in that we have space for two ensigns outside so during the summer, when we have first and last parade outside, we raise both the Union Flag and the ATC Ensign. Technically speaking since its 7pm its after what a typical station deems as sunset, however it does teach the cadets the rarely practiced skill. It always, however, is lowered before it gets dark.

Why the union flag??

because there would be questions if it were the EU flag and even more if it were a Nazi one?

2 Likes

I thought it wasn’t supposed to be flown. I could well be wrong but we only flew ours on a royal visit…

Flags may be flown on every day of the year. Government and local authority buildings in England, Scotland and Wales are encouraged to fly national flags every day of the year (the flying of flags at certain locations in Northern Ireland is constrained by The Flags Regulations [Northern Ireland] 2000 and Police Emblems and Flag Regulations [Northern Ireland] 2002).[2]
Flags are normally flown from sunrise to sunset but they may also be flown at night, when they should be illuminated.
No permission is needed to fly the national flags and they are excluded from most planning and advertising regulations (but flagpoles may not be)

taken from http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/flying-flags-in-the-united-kingdom/british-flag-protocol/#index2

there is an argument the RAFAC hut is a “government building” so see no reason why not…

Ah right. Thanks!