Electric cars and the future of the automobile

They are exempt so you would guess wrong

2 Likes

Not slow either - even a Volvo XC90 hybrid can clock 0-60 mph in about 5 secs for some models!!

People had been trying to motorise ‘the horse and cart’ with steam engines, but the invention of the internal combustion engine provided a light and relatively cheap form of power, that not only meant cars but powered air transport as well.

The electric car is not a progressive step. No one said people should stop using horses, in the way we are being told to stop using the combustion engine, it was the fact a few tractors etc could do much more than a team of horses, along with many, many other things. This had been seen since the industrial revolution began, with mechanisation and the industrial application of water and steam power.

The fact that the first cars were the toys of the rich is quite right, but as electricity as a power source is supposedly for the betterment of the world, people need to be encouraged to buy it and this is done by price. Make it cheap and people will buy.

But I think electric vehicles present more environmentally damaging side effects than the combustion engine, because people are stupid and don’t realise the impact of the means to generate “renewable” energy, the gullible see a windmill turning and think that’s it, with no real thought of how much one windmill relies on ‘traditional’ industries. Iron, steel, and other metals, concrete, plastics are among the things needed for one turbine and it is the cost of these that led to the obscene subsidies, as people wouldn’t have built them.
Then there are the industries to produce the components and the nature of the components, which although now are relatively plentiful, once they are gone that will be it and you have to wonder what sort of future we are now lining up for our forebears. It’s not just sustainable energy it is sustainable elements that are needed.

So police cars of all sorts are exempt from the new emission fines?
Surely the same could be done for buses, but I read an article where Khan said when questioned on the effect on small businesses, he said something to the effect of it’s alright the buses are OK. So all the buses in that area will have been replaced at the taxpayers and users expense, whereas business will have had to buy new vehicles and just absorbed the cost.

London Buses have been Hybrid for several years, ever since Boris and his new Routemaster.

All emergency service vehicles are exempt from the legislation.

I could be tempted with some types of electric cars… :grin:

Maker Automobili Pininfarina claims its Battista does 0-62mph in less than two seconds, 186mph in less than 12 seconds, has a top speed of more than 250mph, and does 280 miles on one charge.

Yes they did, and unsurprisingly it was because of the pollution problem.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

1 Like

Far too much fun to be able to achieve the max mileage!

I’ll get the wife to follow along in my diesel Volvo. :wink:

1 Like

But that was a gradual move and there wasn’t moves to stop people using horses, hence why I have at least 5 shoeing smiths in my family tree in the 1911 census, and I know these and their off-spring continued in business well after WW2 in town and country. No one said that horse drawn vehicles couldn’t be made and as far as I can tell there wasn’t moves to tax them off the road, as you can begin to see happening with proper cars etc now. You can still buy and use horse-drawn vehicles today, as seen on the roads near to some “caravan parks” in our area.

Compare this to the child-like foot stamping tantrum of banning sales of new petrol and diesel vehicles in 2040, effectively stopping their production.

I’ve told my kids to buy petrol cars and store them somewhere, as after 2040 they and their kids will be quids in, as like now there will be heritage groups like we see now for steam and horse-drawn vehicles.

Yes but unlike steam engines, there are quite literally hundreds of millions of cars. I don’t think come the 2040s they will be quite the collector’s items. Maybe by 2140s!

It doesn’t help when the major character has to be held in check! :wink:

Elon Musk’s problem is he is one of the “give it a go” risk entrepreneur inventor types who seems to see a gap, have an idea or see something, give it a go and not seem overly fussed if it goes wrong. This is the difference between people like him and the rest of us. This can annoy people, but without people like him, nothing moves forward. The fact he might not be completely “on message” is IMO one of his endearing traits. He seems to get tripped up by the immediacy of SM and say things off the cuff/heat of the moment that annoys people, but this is how it goes. But it doesn’t seem to bother or dent his inner self which is good. His attitude is something that should be lauded.
If it all got too much he could sell up and live a comfortable life, which would mean the world would be poorer. But that doesn’t seem to be in his DNA.
It’s interesting to wonder what he would do if he was in the Gates / Bezos scale rich.

Maybe not, but probably sooner than that.
If it goes as suggested you can see the govt making it crippingly expensive to own proper cars etc. So they’ll be scrapped. Either that or sell them to third world countries where they won’t be able to afford electric vehicles.