UAS/RPAS (Drones) on squadron

Trouble is that the legislation has overtaken then old approach of “just join BMFA”.
And yeah, I hadn’t appreciated that the Cadet Drone Flying Courses were only being offered for LaSER, in fairness, anyone could run it, she literally just screenshared, talking through the guidance on the Gov.UK website.

And BMFA have adapted, provided guidance to their members and liaised with the CAA to provide continuity while the legislation changes and keep things simpler, while still complying.

If RAFAC were to work with BMFA, I think we’d get a much better solution than something developed in house. Just as we use St John’s material for first aid, we should be reusing BMFA’s existing structure for drones, rockets and round-the-pole.

If you stick to drones that are under 250g do those rules still apply?

Depends if it’s a toy and/or has a camera

However, if you’re flying inside, the CAA aren’t interested and you can carry on (which the IBN said too).

Edit: for comparison here are the restrictions that BMFA members can operate under, which are more flexible than the general public.

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/

This is what we are doing.

A few years back I made my own drone course; it covers some basic principles of flight, basic drone operation and then the whole CAA flyer ID detail - cadets then pass their FlyerID and can operate squadron drones.

We’ve been confined to indoors since the IBN, but out of good practise and having built good links with the BMFA we remain a member. We are fortunate that we have a hall we can whizz them around in.

Outside of this we have regular contact and events out with our local BMFA branch that are introducing our cadets to rocketry and all sorts of madness, but all at their official events where they are happy to help and get cadets stuck in.

It just goes to show that by building links you can fill the gaps… Whether or not that sort of thinking catches on at HQAC I can’t say.

9 Likes

It’s FUN. So of course……….

1 Like

We’ve been using the DJI simulator which is quite cool - you plug the controller into the PC via USB and can simulate flying, it’s a freebie and worth using.

I can’t believe I’m saying this. I totally agree with the use of this simulator!!!

It’s a useful option for conducting ‘practical’ training with no risk of anything crashing…

1 Like

Would you be willing to share?

1 Like

I know. I totally get that. What I actively dislike of synthetic training and simulation to replace the experience of flying. Which is a bit different.

1 Like

Sure! Drop me a message of where to.

One of our CI’s is really into models and he has a model aircraft simulator, controller plugs in via usb and away you go.

Cadets love choosing an aircraft, planning an aerobatic routine and then trying to fly it using the controller…

Unlimited crashes at 0 expense!

When it first arrived on squadron I did raise my eyebrows thinking Jesus no. But it’s actually really good.

2 Likes

Drones will be a big part of the future of aviation and the RAFAC sits and twiddles its thumbs.

Drone flying and piloting skill will be the future and could open up many career paths if cadets are allowed to get a head start against someone who has never seen let alone ‘piloted’ one at the application, interview and aptitude stages.

Sad very sad.

3 Likes

From memory the BFMA has its own A2 CoC course which is cheaper than commercial offerings. Might be worth looking into if you are already a member or thinking about it.

Edited to add link

1 Like

To resurrect this thread, LaSER have got “Drone Experiential Training” scheduled for October and December 2023 “subject to Drones workstrand completion”.
Anyone in LaSER fancy asking their region aerospace bod for more info about that? :wink:

I’m not laser but I can summarise the response.

“LASER only because….well LASER. All training will be subject to 2FTS finishing deciding which Drone brevet will look best on their uniform”

Wasn’t the RPAS brevet binned in summer now everybody new to RPAS gets issued standard wings?

Or could there be a new RC drone proficiency badge scheme for brassard for cadets who do a drone course?

Yeah, about time too I’d argue, follows the RAF’s brevet updates as well, they had that funny blue one for a while.

Think there was some resentment that the master race would be joined by another branch basically, didn’t want to dilute the gene pool of people allowed to wear full brevets.

Fast forward a decade and now I’d say that the RPAS stream is by some distance the most rewarding stream for people wanting to fly in the RAF in terms of operational exposure and career prospects. Plenty of people joining as pilots are waiting 6 to 8 YEARS to get through the OCU from the start of IOT. Madness. RPAS crew could be well into their second operational tour by that point.

Yes you lack the hours to go and fly a metal tube for Virgin, but in 10/15 years I can see big money being in commercial RPAS. Oil/gas extraction, offshore wind, long distance mapping, the days of it just being for hobbyists are long gone.

1 Like

Lol.

This exactly.