Do we do enough for potential officers?

Why would it be “top” cadets only? If they had the qualifications to apply normally and it was something they were considering, then if this existed they should be included.
I think as an organisation we get too excited about the so called “high flyers”.

perhaps in this case “top” @daws1159 uses as “top of the list for potential commission”

those “top Cadets” are the ones who are top of the list - now this may mean, as you identify the “high flyers” but doesn’t need to be.

of course this is a moot point

Realistically I would expect those Cadets who were serious candidates for commission to be high flyers in the main. Yes there is the need to juggle the school requirements with the ATC and Social Side of life, but I would suggest that for a potential officer those skills are something they will need.

I would also say that since ACLC is limited to Cadets of the rank of Sergeant or below having the pre-commissioning course aimed at those higher ranks would make sense.

It’s great that everyone else’s squadrons have cadets military minded! Half of my squadron run a mile as soon as any expectation or additional requirements are needed… It’s a shame but we are probably the least “military” a squadron could be… maybe due to only having one uniformed staff for a long time… and being based in a school.

What is 'military minded;?

those who aspire to join the Armed Forces?

In fairness, they are the minority even at units which do well.

We consider ourselves quite successful with cadets going in, and in the last 3 years I can ‘only’ count 6. Maybe 8 if you include a couple who went on to an UAS.

Considering we’ve got 50-60 cadets, and that any given year 15-20 will leave, it’s not big numbers. And no reason for us to change what we deliver for the 2 or 3 who might go in at officer level.

All this chat and no-one has mentioned the CCF yet!

Frag out!

I mean, you’re mostly in private schools so the bare basics of owning a blazer and red trousers and knowing the correct order cutlery should be laid out at a dinner party have already been met.

What more can you teach them? :wink:

9 Likes

Aren’t they booked in to their units on registration of birth? :spoon:

1 Like

You’re all just jealous of our white sock dispensation in the uniform regulations

3 Likes

Anyone who wears full length white socks and isn’t wearing cricket whites or playing a racket sport needs to be sent back to the 80s with the rest of the hideously clothed.

I suppose the ATC could add chino and Paisley prep to uniform upkeep lessons and demonstrate how to get the dust out of brogues. The problem with that would be finding a spare batman or two per Sqn to use as demo troop.

3 Likes

WRT military minded as I recall cadets looking to join the armed forces at all levels was far greater 30-40 years ago than it is now and ha decreased markedly over the last 30.
The “militaryness” of families isn’t as it was when I was growing up. A number of us had close family who had served in WW1 and or WW2 or done NS, so that meant there was a greater inclination to follow. Also today there is less opportunity to get a feel for “military” life as a cadet and meet those serving in a number of roles, as annual camps have become more of a PGL on an RAF station. At one time not too long ago in 4/5 years you could expect to go on 3/4 camps including overseas and invariably get to see the job you were interested in, meet the people doing it and speak to them and maybe get to do it for a day or two. On the latter point that was a deal breaker or opening of horizons. I know people who did a bit of work experience on what they thought they wanted and came away disenchanted and some who had never even considered the RAF for a job, doing work exp and ended up in that job and for more than the minimum term.
Also tt one time getting in wasn’t that onerous, but after the reviews and reductions since 1990 the opportunities have reduced and the armed forces are far pickier than they were.
Underlying all of this was we never did anything special wrt those looking to join.

I know, but they’ve all stolen our long hair exemption…

2 Likes