Disposal Of IT Equipment

This was an issue that affected monitors 20 years ago, but as incubus says the image had to be displayed on screen for some time. The screen did not magically retain data. You can easily test this by looking at the monitor! Modern monitors do not have this problem.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is helpful or not but for DII machines, we can “locally destroy” HDD’s that hold up to OFFICIAL SENSITIVE information - SECRET and above needs incinerating via approved facilities.

Can you apply similar principles?

same for me, i passed them to the PS section at work and they just smashed em 🖒

Even if you only use SMS for data, bear in mind the HDD may contain cached information.

The HDD wouldn’t hold cached personal data.

It would hold a cache of the webpage design but not the actual data.

1 Like

it isn’t just webpage elements to concern with. temporary downloaded documents may contain privileged or sensitive information and that does not just mean personal data.

Stuff need not be protectively marked for it to contain information that you do not want to have released.

Disposal and Destruction of Media

Data storage media no longer required must be disposed or destroyed by an approved method; see HMG Infosec Standard No.5, [IS 5]. Advice on approved methods of destruction of specific types of data storage media should be sought from the SSO via the BADER Helpdesk 030 6770 4905.

Sorted 🖒