Dire ATC CFAV decline, recruitment, and retention

I saw the latest DCTT tech a few emeeeks ago and it is compelling. If we can train F35 pilots to fly the real thing in a sim, we can and should do more trg (across the board) using VR / AR. We are using VR in flying trg and technical trg…complimenting live trg.

For RAFAC, the exploitation of synthetic capabilities is superb. Most cadets I fly have seen the Tutor cockpit synthetically which makes my job a little easier and demystifies the cockpit a little.

5 Likes

I agree that there are significant benefits to enabling cadets to experience synthetic training before flying for real.

But we must put adequate safeguards in place that synthetic training is never seen as a replacement for the real thing. This is, I’m sure you’d agree, the air cadets and not the computer game cadets.

If synthetic training and no flying for the majority of cadets becomes the modus operandi, recruitment of CFAVs may well suffer further and retention of cadets will likely become much harder.

8 Likes

The issue is that we simply won’t get enough access to the high quality synthetic training which is where the problem lies.

The reason sims work well for pilots etc in cockpits is because it allows them to practice over and over and over so they learn muscle memory on where things are and how to follow drills for scenarios.

Will units have access to enough equipment to allow cadets to complete SAAI training on a synthetic weapon? Unlikely. Will the synthetic system show us who is physically capable of cocking an L98 or not? If they can’t pass a WHT then they don’t get on the range so it may end up being more time wasted for them.

I’m all for the future and introducing synthetic training where it will complement our learning in a true blended environment but suggesting we use it as it will be cheaper, easier to access or more effective is fantasy.

We have had our ammo cut as we can’t afford that… where does the money for the Gucci synthetic kit come from?

7 Likes

Call me a cynic if you like, however, I honestly see that the access to synthetic training facilities/equipment will be similar to the access that most of us see to AEF/AEG. Otherwise, Sqns will be told to purchase their own - a bit like the move to Bader and the purchase of IT and broadband, ultimately costing each unit thousands.

4 Likes

At my first RA Regiment - 1990’s - we genuinely did the Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom Boom thing.

We had a UAV det - they went Whooooooossshhhhh….

2 Likes

The Royal Navy had to do this in 2000.

They won the Ig Nobel Peace prize that year for it:

If the Army get it this time around it does mean that the RAF is the only British armed force who have never been awarded a Ig Nobel prize.