Dire ATC CFAV decline, recruitment, and retention

Coupled with the fact that we are doing great enjoyable things out there… but can’t currently let people know about it!

1 Like

Why is it that people in this organisation do an absolutely blinding job, but the moment they are paid to do it…

1 Like

I have maintained for many years thay we should incorporate into the ACF and be badged AAC !!

3 Likes

Are those numbers RAFAC or ATC? I think they are the former?
I’d be interested to see the numbers for CCF. CFAVs are perhaps more reluctant/unable to quit, although the CACE process and VA restrictions (coupled with the new fieldcraft policy and the lack of understanding of joint Contingent training) is making some reconsider.

ATC only. I can make some more tables showing ATC vs CCF and combined, but the numbers used there are ATC only.

Not the stats processing that JB has done but here’s the CCF data from the report.

Ironically, I’ve been told/asked to stick at it as it will all get better in 2025!!??

I have therefore filled out the forms and sent them direct to HQ. As far as I’m concerned, I’ve done my paperwork. I will be taking a bag of uniform back to the Sqn on Friday and the self-funded bits go up for sale at the weekend.

I’ll keep the good memories and those that really matter as friends. The bureaucracy and those who have spoilt it will be forgotten and resided to history.

6 Likes

I’d love to know why they think it’ll magically all be fixed in 2025?!

Or by better do they mean it might be 1% better. Which is still not great…

2 Likes

I hope it is better! Maybe an improvement in some areas with a new CAC…but if the money is not there then neither will the activities. With a new CAC maybe 22Grp will seize the opportunity to further tighten the strings.

The end of an era (and 31 years’ involvement qualifies as an era, I think!) is always a bit sad and definitely a loss to the organisation. Over that time you must have had a positive influence on hundreds of young people and hopefully lots of good memories.

I hope you enjoy the extra free time and lower stress and frustration. I’m slightly jealous :smile:

2 Likes

Just wanted to add my story as someone right at the bottom of the food chain in the frontline trenches! I began volunteering because my kid joined up and on the recruitment night the OC was asking for adult volunteers as CI’s and also for the committee. My reasons are 50% nefarious; if they didn’t have enough staff then my kid would miss out, by volunteering not only do i make sure my kid gets chance to have a full experience but all the other cadets will benefit too. I attended parade nights (after all the security checks were completed), twice a week, for 2 months before the next AVIP course was held. Obviously during those 2 months there wasn’t much i could do but i helped with admin, stores, made tea/coffee, did the mandatory training and sat in the back of as many of the lectures as i could. It was killing me to see events coming up that i couldn’t apply to attend, even when they were after the avip, i still wasn’t able to apply. Then after the course i missed out on a couple of things because the system wasn’t updated for a few weeks. I feel like i have jumped through so many hoops that have been demanded of me in the last 5 months, and my reward is that i went from “Civilian instructor applicant” to “Civilian instructor probationer”. Because of this probation title or period i seem to have been rejected for everything i have bid to attend, whether it be an event or training course. At least this is what myself and other staff on my squadron believe is the case. And it’s already demoralising me because on my squadron i work in a couple of vital positions, plus teaching lectures plus running sports. I have an almost 100% parade night attendance (twice a week) over the last 5 months, and in the 3 months since avip have already given up 4 Sundays and 1 full weekend to staff events. In the next 3 months i have 2 weekend camps and at least 4 Sundays booked already. There’s also the admin stuff that takes a couple of hours a week outside of parade nights.
There have been a couple of occasions when i have applied to attend events were, after being rejected, they would realise that they are short on female staff and suddenly I’m invited. And every training course i have bid for, so i can further my knowledge (which is solely for the benefit of the cadets) i have been rejected without reason given. Then add to this my all excited and shiny new enthusiasm- can we do this? Can we take the cadets to visit…? can we try that? shall i bring in … to demonstrate? No no no. Not on approved list. No transport available. Take longer to do the paperwork for that than actually do that. So I’m already starting to feel burnt out, I’m tired and i need a weekend off! I agree with what I’ve read on here about how undervalued the volunteers are. So undervalued that even 1 that has put in as much effort and time as i have over the last 5 months isn’t even considered to be a real CFAV yet. I’m already considering not bothering any more. There is also a bit of a staff issue going on at squadron(a lazy ci who manages to do nothing except rub the other staff up the wrong way) which is adding stress. The only thing keeping me going right now is the fact that my kid loves it and i don’t want his experience to be lessened by the lack of staff at his squadron. And so the circle closes and I’m stuck feeling undervalued, stressed and overworked. Good knows how I’m going to cope in 4 months time when i will finally be made a CFAV and can start volunteering properly!!:neutral_face::rofl:

4 Likes

That’s horrendous.

It seems like the organisation really needs to rethink the induction process and the inconsistencies.

7 Likes

In the last 18 months, we have had 5 C.I. applicants. All 5 have sacked it off during the induction process because, “It’s too much of a faff!”

2 Likes

I heard someone say it was more difficult than applying for their last job, and that was a pretty senior role with checks.

2 Likes

This is quite common.

Someone new and keen comes in, and others step back and do less. And there’s always the tea drinkers who are happy to sit on the Squadron of a parade night but don’t teach or do admin, and aren’t likely to turn out for a DofE practice or a range package of a weekend.

They’ll be there in double super quick time for any awards evening or parade with VIPs present though :worried:

2 Likes

@Shark46 I’m going to try and unpack this, but I’m sure there is something you’ve not mentioned that might help resolve this.

My reading here is that you were attending and supporting the Squadron whilst you were an Applicant, this shouldn’t b the case, the application should be submitted via JOIN as once the application is approved you are appointed on a period of 6 month probation.

During the 6 Month probation you need to complete the mandatory eLearning as well as the AVIP Consolidation Day, as well as the workbook.

As a probationer you aren’t allowed to attend external events where you would need to act as a fully trained member of staff, this protects both you and the organisation, so you can’t be directly responsible for cadets and therefore be included within the relevant ratio.

My advise would be to reach out to the person who is running the course rather than just bidding on SMS, as you might be being rejected as the event is staffed and your not an instructor.

Have you raised this with the OC as a first step for informal remediation, other formal routes are also available if needed.

Not strictly true: once DBS is complete you can attend while the other bits are sorted.

New joiners are not to attend parade nights or take part in any activity until in receipt of a BPSS and DBS/PVG clearance, at which point an applicant may attend sqn parade nights only under close supervision pending formal appointment.

If you have DBS & BPSS in place there is no reason to not push the submit button on the application, locally seeing them turned around in ~24 Hours

As far as I’m aware, you have to do the avip and the mandatory training to become a probationer, at least that’s what I’ve been told. The mandatory training has to be completed before you can go on the avip. I have only staffed events since the avip and only then with permission from further up the chain (due to lack of other available staff or requirements for female cover). Before that, i didn’t go on parade nights until the security checks were all in and after that i still wasn’t working with the cadets, but rather behind the scenes in the office and in supplies etc.

No, you are a CI applicant until you have everything in place, such as board report, bank details, BPSS, DBS and signed the volunteer agreement. You can then submit the application - that gets approved by Sqn OC, WHQ and then, finally, HQ. At that point, you become a CI Probationer with a 6-month probation - it is at this point when you can start attending. During this 6-month period, you do your mandatory training and AVIP. After all that is completed, you become a fully fledged CI.