Demise of Dark-Blue Working Shirts: RAFAC options?

Exactly how we should solve this

Uniform supply issues in my area are becoming ridiculous. Can’t remember last time we received a full initial kitting for a Cadet or it turning up within a semi reasonable time frame. We really need a separate contract for this.

If the working shirt is withdrawn then issuing short sleeve wedgewoods to cadets would seem the logical option. Personally though, I’d like to see an issue of MTP for day to day activities and an issue of long sleeved wedgewood shirt and tie for more formal occasions.

ACF initial MTP issue includes 2x shirts, 2x trousers, 2x T-shirt’s and 1x smock jacket, 1x belt and a field cap in addition to unit specific headdress. Looks like they also get 3 pairs of socks and a thermal undershirt. Surely we could ditch our working shirt and replace it with one basic set of MTP for a similar cost per head.

Seems silly that the uniform required for a fair chunk of our activities is not even issued. I really don’t like the current CS95/MTP mix, looks very unprofessional. No2 Dress is only really suitable for office/classroom work and ceremonial.

Marksmanship - MTP
Fieldcraft - MTP
First Aid - MTP
Leadership - MTP
Gliding - MTP
Road Marching - MTP
AT - Civvies
DofE - Civvies
Sports - Civvies
AEF/PTT - No2 (why not No3)
Classification Training - No2 (could be No3)
Drill & Ceremonial - No2
Band - No2

Appreciate the need/wish to remain blue but is it really the most practicable?

MB

1 Like

I can see us going to MTP.

How long will it take to fit out the corps? I can count on one hand how many of our kids have MTP. Then you also have the staff to kit out, that’s if they include staff in the initial kitting as well.

I’m going to hold off buying any MTP for the time being then.

radio missed off another list!!!

Cadets cost and family resources come to mind, a Civ Com maybe unable to fund those cadets who have financial constraints.

That is what used to happen when I was a cadet.

That rather assumes we can get those shirts though. Current supply issues say otherwise.

1 Like

Absolutely, and that will always potentially be an issue which has to be managed.
But that is the only way that we will become independent from the flaky and uncontrollable RAF supply.

Ahh but back then we had a real RAF with lots of people in it, so big contracts etc etc, so we could get given 2 Wedgs.

Roll forward 40-50 years and we have a piddly RAF by comparison and as we piggy-back the supply system and pick up what we get given, in a very much at the bottom of the list manner. So with fewer people in the RAF than ATC we have no chance of cadets getting 2 LB shirts, it’s bad enough getting one in the size you order, such is the poor supply system in the RAF.

If we are going down the LB as standard route, issue all cadets with 2 short sleeve and do away with all this long sleeve bunkum. Practically everyone with a son at school buys short sleeve shirts as they last longer, given the lack of sleeves means growth in neck, chest and arm are less of a problem than long sleeve shirts.
I can see some having a seizure at this, but we need to have something far more flexible. Unless the RAF is going to prioritise supplying us, given we are larger than the RAF.

It’s going to be long sleeve blue shirts for formal dress situations, everyday duties to be MTP with locally purchased polo shirt / sweatshirt to approved brand guidelines. Change to come in with other uniform relaxations 1 Aug.

1 Like

So no imagination or thinking outside the box.
No wonder we are where we are.

Did someone say beards…

What level is your source or is this guess work?

Since we will need long sleeve Light Blue for formal events surely their is a case to be made that it’s cheaper to just buy one style of shirt and to issue everyone multiple long sleeved shirts? (You also get an economy of scale in that you are buying 60,000 shirts rather than 30,000 x2).

Also a brassard doesn’t really work on a short sleeved shirt, whereas it does on a long sleeve that has been rolled up.

3 Likes

Why do we need long sleeve shirts? Don’t say because it says in the regs as they can be changed as easy a wheel on a car. Maybe not as you don’t change a wheel by committee, you just crack on.

Short sleeves are far more practical if they are going to be worn all the time, hence it’s what I wear all the time as either formal or polo. Before short sleeves were cheaply available, I rolled the sleeves up saves on grubby / worn cuffs.

I wear short sleeve shirts all the time at the squadron. What are they going to do tell me off? They are not my mum, dad, wife or manager, so it cuts no ice. Given I have to buy them I will buy what is most practical and comfortable.

Err… Under a jumper?

4 Likes

Er…Winter? Or so you can wear a Tie at formal events? Issuing long sleeves and allowing the sleeves to be rolled gives options, just using short sleeves does not.

3 Likes

They also really don’t work with brassards.

4 Likes

Blue PCS for everything except fieldcraft. It’s already out, solves all the issues of cadets having to buy a full uniform, practical for shooting, leadership, first aid, drill, camps, classifications etc.

2 Likes

Beards currently at 3Star level… Estimate an answers by Q3 this year.

They might mean the related tattoo regs that have just been announced. (one ring tattoo and tattoos on the neck)